*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027644
Rated: E · Book · Hobby/Craft · #2260940
The things I do to stay fed despite food intolerances.
#1027644 added February 28, 2022 at 3:53pm
Restrictions: None
Kitchen Staples: Preserved lemons
(2022-02-27 experiment)
Ingredients

3 lemons (Meyer, if possible)
1 extra lemon, if needed
about 4 teaspoons of salt (Don’t use table salt, salt that is not iodized should be used.)

Method
1. Wash the lemons.
2. Trim the stem end and blossom end off three lemons then cut most of the way through each of the lemons to make a flower of attached quarters.
3. Put a teaspoon of salt in the bottom of a sterile pint-sized canning jar and inside each lemon flower.
4. Put three lemon flowers in the jar open side up, squish each one as it goes in to release lemon juice into the jar.
5. If the level of the lemon juice isn’t at least halfway up the jar, add fresh squeezed lemon juice from the fourth lemon.
7. Top the jar off with water that has been boiled and cooled (sterilized).
8. Seal the jar and let sit at room temperature in a cupboard for 3 days. Shake and rotate the jar regularly (a few times a day).
9. Put it in the back of the fridge for 3 weeks.

Using preserved lemons
* Remove the amount needed.
* Cut the pulp out of the center.
* Rinse the salt off the rind.
* Use the rind in your recipe.
© Copyright 2022 Sera Terranova (UN: seraterranova at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sera Terranova has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027644