*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031537-Kissimmee-River
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #2271240
Writings intended for Journalistic Intentions starting with April 2022.
#1031537 added April 28, 2022 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
Kissimmee River
References:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissimmee_River
https://www.epa.gov/wotus

owl for signature use by Judithd (apondia)

Kissimmee River


The name of this river, Kissimmee has a Native American origin likely to mean the long river. The river is a broad, shallow navigable water body. The true beginning is from Lake Tohopekaliga, through lake Kissimmee, into Lake Okeechobee near Orlando. When it leaves the lake its' configuration becomes approximately 30 miles wide. The river flows 100 miles across a limestone shelf to the Florida Bay.

Spread of the river causes the waters to flow slowly. The river moves at about 4 miles an hour. Basically, it becomes a home to the saw grass prairie, that houses the Everglades ecosystem. This particular ecosystem is the only one of its' kind on the entire earth. Alligators, cranes, and now Burmese Pythons, Bob cats, and other diverse species of birds, fish, and mammals make the Everglades home.

Lake Okeechobee is very large. It is so large it can be seen from space. Okeechobee is also very shallow.

In 1947, prompted by human habitation, when hurricanes flooded the lake it caused a rise in waters flowing in Kissimmee. Human efforts began to move the river into manmade channels. These channels were completed in 1970.

Although the river ran faster, and did not have as many curves in it, the objective failed, because it affected the ecosystem with unfortunate consequences. Land below lake Kissimmee dried up. Ninety percent of the bird species, and many fish, that depended on the everglades for nesting and habitat were affected. Species died out with alarming speed. The ecosystem was damaged. Since then an effort is being made to return the Kissimmee River to its' previous natural state.

Because of the outcry against the problems created in the ecosystem, an author, Piers Anthony, based a plot in his fantasy novel, Vale of the Vole. The book is 10th in the fantasy series Xanth. The book was written in 1984.

Also, a song writer, Sandra Boynton, wrote a song called the Alligator stroll drawing attention to the ecosystem controversy. It's the embedded YouTube in the list of references.

The most important element, to the Everglades is water supplied by Kissimmee and rainfall. The wet season gains about 49 per cent of the total 60 per cent rain recorded per year. Florida wet season starts in May. Daily afternoon showers are often normal during the summer months and into the first part of fall.

Congress approved the restoration of the Kissimmee River in 1992. Restoration began in 1997. The ecosystem is in recovery. fish species and bird species have returned. Sandbars instead of dry land have formed.

The Kissimmee restoration project has gained publicity around the world as a benefit. Other ecologist have noticed the beneficial changes restoration has accomplished. The Kissimmee River now meanders its' way to the Florida Bay. The ecological changes brought bountiful results to the river and the ecology it houses.










apondia#1781748



















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2022 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031537-Kissimmee-River