*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032254-Eating-to-live-or-living-to-eat
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#1032254 added May 11, 2022 at 4:18pm
Restrictions: None
Eating to live or living to eat.
Home Sweet Home: Prompt for Richard and Andre


What food or foods are your town/area noted for? What's the prevalent cuisine? Where is your favorite place to eat out in your neck of the woods?

signature dancing owl Merit Badge in Food Cooking
[Click For More Info]

For [Link to Book Entry #1021748]

"Good insight into your eating habits over the years. *^*HeartO*^* A very simple diet growing up (me:yes), supplementing with homegrown foods (me:no), lots of self restraint (so not me). I was raised on leftovers so that's what it often is. I hate throwing out food. My diet isn't good. I'm often sluggish. I have less urge to eat when I travel."


Well, I'm winging this one. There are lots of small towns in the area. Eating places in small towns come and go. Probably, has a lot to do with cash flow.

The cuisine is so varied I can't find one, that is more prevalent than any other.

Right now, there is a new coffee shop in a close town that, one of my neighbors is raving about on Facebook.

Another town about 16 miles west of us has a gas station with a food venue inside. We can get good chicken tenders there. The same town has a really good hoagie and submarine sandwich shop.

There is a good pizza place 10 miles or so north of us.

The best pizza often comes from my kitchen. I bake it in a Nuwave oven, spread it with whatever sounds good or is available.

There is a McDonald's close. During Covid 19 pandemic they stopped selling salads. The last time we were there we stopped for milkshakes and burgers

We rarely go out to eat. Over the winter food seemed unimportant. I still cook. Baked potatoes, meatloaf, spaghetti, chili, sloppy Joes Tila Pia with vegetables, beef stew, with beef chunks or hamburger stew, chicken with stuffing, or just potatoes and veggies. we have a large variety of different meals at home.

There are lots of fast-food places in the area. McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell,

The grocery stores also offer choices of small meals that can be heated up. Some of the grocery stores cook meals. Tops cooks' whole chickens for pick up. Also, whole Thanksgiving dinners can be ordered.

We used to go grocery shopping in one of the larger cities nearby. Stopping at a restaurant was a treat then. We kind of got out of the habit because of Covid-19. Seems like we've been home pretty study for at least two years. That really isn't a bad a thing. Cooking for two people who don't really crave a special kind of food very often is pretty easy.

I looked up Restaurants near us.. This is the list, J.J.s Retro Eatery, Subway, Goldstar's Chinese Restaurant, The Buzz of Union City Cafe, Pizza Hut, Countryside Grill, MaDonna's Family Restaurant. The Frog Pond, and Happi Jax.

Happy Jax is at the lake and only open summers. It is basically takeout. Certain times of the day and times of the year it is so packed you can barely get into the parking area to go order at the window. The food is pretty good.

If I had to choose It would be Subway because of all the fresh veggies, they pile into a sandwich. I don't know what K would chose.

A big thing about food is it's a recreational thing. We have so much recreation time on our hands, that food is not all that big a deal.

My dogs are hungrier than we are. They eat with gusto.

We use to keep a regular eating schedule. The scheduled meals are not so necessary as they use to be.


Nevertheless food is a well versed subject:

"Blueberries" by Robert Frost
Frost's ode to blueberries contains the lines:
"Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb,
Real sky-blue, and heavy, and ready to drum
In the cavernous pail of the first one to come!
And all ripe together, not some of them green"

"The Pumpkin" by John Greenleaf Whittier
Whittier's 19th century poem about pumpkins discusses both eating and carving pumpkins. It contains the lines:
"Then thanks for thy present! none sweeter or better
E’er smoked from an oven or circled a platter!
Fairer hands never wrought at a pastry more fine,
Brighter eyes never watched o’er its baking, than thine!"

https://www.writerswrite.com/poetry/food/?msclkid=554c6ae0d16511ecad96542fb2dc1e...

Another thought, about food has to do with keeping the children fed as they grow. Once that phase of life is done, food is not as necessary as before. You can pick and chose what you want to eat or not eat.

Word Count:696

© Copyright 2022 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032254-Eating-to-live-or-living-to-eat