*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034209-Adjacent-to-the-Spotlight
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2231553
Fictitious and delicious!
#1034209 added June 24, 2022 at 11:37pm
Restrictions: None
Adjacent to the Spotlight
I appreciate Marcus springing for full bedrooms on our train trip from Chicago to Savannah. I caught a glimpse of the roomettes, and just me alone would be a tight fit. I get that Felicia and Adrian can squeeze in them, but they're a bit leaner and more limber. I tried losing weight, and in some ways I have had some success. All the time, I've come to accept that I'm just going to be a bit bigger than average. Then again, this does have the advantage of not making me look like a dwarf when I stand next to Marcus. When I've seen him and Felicia next to each other, the difference is night and day (even with Felicia stating she's gained a good 20 pounds since she turned 30).

I agree to go get dinner from the dining/cafe car for the both of us. Marcus has been recognized a fair amount even just on the train. While getting to the train station was a nondescript affair, a couple people did approach us when we were in the lounge at the train station. Well, they approached Marcus first. A couple people did recognize me, and I gave these lovely ladies a couple spoilers about my upcoming Sims videos. Once we boarded, Marcus almost ran up the tiny stairs to get to our room, and he was relieved to see we had an in room bathroom. Pun not intended. I swear Marcus, Felicia, and Adrian are all getting to me. Aside from our room attendant introducing himself, we've managed to be left alone while on the train. Me being the one to get dinner ensures that this continues at least through the next.

After a bit of a wait, I brought the bag back to the room. Marcus had already unfolded the table, and he stepped over to shut the door once I stepped further into the space.

"Thanks, Angie," he remarked as he locked the door. "I can't wait to have the short ribs. I hear they're pretty tasty."

I smiled. "I'm surprised you didn't get the street noodles."

"I thought about it but figured I'd get a bit more bang for my buck with the beef."

"Even though we're not paying extra for this."

"Exactly."

I smirked and got to work setting our food on the table.

We ate our salads and part of our entrees in silence. The food was much tastier than I expected, and it was piping hot. I even let my noodles sit a couple minutes to let more of the steam dissipate. Adrian did warn us that train food being hot on arrival. After a bit, I decide to pause.

"I hope the weather holds out," I said. "I know hurricanes are rare in October, but one never knows."

Marcus nodded and sipped some water. "Yeah, but I'll take the risk in exchange for not having to deal with as many crowds."

"And even spring is no guarantee, like Adrian and Felicia found out many years back."

"I know. Wow, I think we were still living in Anderson at the time."

I rubbed my chin. "We might have been. Either that, or we were about to head to Fort Wayne. I can't remember. It's been quite a long time."

"All those birthdays."

At that, I couldn't help but laugh.

After dinner, we cleaned up and started getting ready for bed. I ventured down to the bathroom as our attendant set up our beds. I agreed to take the top bunk on this leg of the trip, so I made sure I had my gripper slippers on before heading back. As I reached the top of the stairs, I saw Marcus by himself just outside the room, a calm look settling across his face. Inside, I smiled. I was glad he'd get a little bit of a break from the fans tonight.




Entry 6 in "The Bard's Hall Contest June 2022

© Copyright 2022 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034209-Adjacent-to-the-Spotlight