*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034575-June-Watch-List
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1034575 added July 2, 2022 at 12:26am
Restrictions: None
June Watch List

Explainer


Movies

         *Movie* Interceptor
         *Movie* The Lost City
         *Movie* No Time to Die
         *Movie* Thor: Love and Thunder



Television

         *TV* The Bear
         *TV* The Boys (Season 2)
         *TV* The Boys (Season 3)
         *TV* Invincible (Season 1)
         *TV* Obi-Wan Kenobi



With a couple of exceptions, I was mostly disappointed with the movies I saw this month (except for Thor: Love and Thunder which I really liked), and I was mostly really happy with the television I saw (except for Invincible which I had a hard time getting into).

Interceptor was a garbage action movie about a nuclear deterrence platform that's taken hostage and Elsa Pataky is some sort of weapons specialist who is, of course, the only one that can stop them. The action is pretty weak, and the characters and the dramatic scenes are even worse. Unless you're an Elsa Pataky stan or will literally watching any action movie, it's safe to skip this one.

The Lost City and No Time To Die were both movies that came highly recommended by a number of people I know, and both fell short for me. They were okay, but didn't really knock my socks off.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was fun to watch as a Star Wars fan, but I'm really starting to wonder why they keep going back to the same well. The Star Wars universe is one of the richest, most well-developed, expansive media franchises in the world and they still... just... keep going back to the same core characters. As much as I enjoy these little glimpses at "the stories between the trilogies," I'm getting really desperate for new content about some of the characters and storylines that haven't been done before. I really hope they figure out to do more with the remarkably diverse IP they've created.

The Boys continues to be one of my favorite shows on television. It's so dark and twisted and satirical; I just love it. You haven't really experienced all the superhero genre has to offer until you've see "Herogasm," an episode that focuses on an annual super-powered orgy. *Ha* This was honestly shaping up to be the second month in a row I picked it as my top choice, until a couple days ago when I started watching...

The Bear. Jeremy Allen White (Lip from Shameless) plays Carmy, a virtuoso chef who leaves behind a promising career in the fine dining world to take over his family's crappy sandwich shop in Chicago after his brother commits suicide. It's a really touching story about a talented young man struggling with his promise, trying to make something of himself, set against the backdrop of everyone who knew his brother coming to terms with his unexpected suicide. Hulu's really knocking it out of the park lately... between this and Dopesick which we watched late last year, they have two really outstanding series in the past two years to be proud of.


TOP PICK: The Bear

© Copyright 2022 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034575-June-Watch-List