*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
3
4
6
7
8
10
13
14
15
16
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035460-Thoughts-in-the-Waiting-Room
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#1035460 added July 19, 2022 at 9:56pm
Restrictions: None
Thoughts in the Waiting Room
Thoughts in the Waiting Room

In the last couple of years or so, i have been vaguely concerned at the state of my memory. It’s never been brilliant, understand, but lately it seems to forget words more often than I find comfortable. You might have noticed that I know and use quite a lot of them. So this growing disappearance of the exact word at inconvenient moments is not only frustrating but also slightly worrying.

Is this the first sign of the ultimate decay of the old brain, I wonder. But it’s not really a matter of failing memory - it’s an instant and temporary thing. Very often it’s when I’m writing and I know the precise word that will fit the sentence when I get there. And, when I arrive and reach for the word, it’s gone. I know it was there seconds ago but now there’s no trace of it - poof, gone like the morning mist in the heat of the summer sun.

It’s annoying, to say the least. But I won’t just think of a substitute that means approximately the same. I have to use the word already chosen. Usually I define the word to Andrea and she runs through all the ones I’ve thought of until she hits the right one. And I know it as soon as I hear it, of course.

Sometimes Andrea isn’t immediately available and I have to sit and wrestle with the brain to squeeze the information out of it. It works occasionally and I shout out the word in relief. Which can be a bit disconcerting for anyone in earshot. But heck, I’m an old fart now and expected to be a little eccentric.

My worries about this apparent omen of decay in the noggin region was somewhat lessened in the last few days. There seemed to be a spate of old heroes from the past appearing on television and, watching them, I realised that I wasn’t so bad after all. Some of them look properly decrepit now and they all have lost those strong voices I remember from my youth.

There are reasons, of course. My generation had some pretty heady times in our early days and we weren’t too careful about recommended maintenance of the body. It’s really a wonder that so many of us have lasted this long at all. And I am definitely doing better than I really deserve.

So enough of this depressing concern for the future. Now that I think of it, I realise that I’ve always had this tendency to forget the exact word at the precise moment I need it. The instances are a bit more frequent these days but the brain still functions well enough. And I can think of five or six acceptable substitutes in a moment.

Not that I’d use ‘em, of course. Not on your sweet bippy (whatever that means).



Word count: 476

© Copyright 2022 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035460-Thoughts-in-the-Waiting-Room