*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035937-Stranger-in-a-strangers-land
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#1035937 added July 31, 2022 at 11:24pm
Restrictions: None
Stranger in a stranger's land
I have felt like a stranger in a strange land.

Kindergarten was brutal. It barely got better. I didn't connect with the other kids and never did learn how to make new friends.

High school was a landmine of hormones and misplaced emotion. I withdrew until my senior year. And even then, keeping book for the basketball and baseball teams, I felt more like a mascot than a part of anything.

I did join chorale in junior high, but was too shy to sing in fron of others and cringed at the thought of spending my summer with them or going on overnight trips. I preferred my own bed, snug in the safe-from-tornadoes south-west corner.

When I went to university I had to adapt to a different landscape. I flourished... until I didn't. Roommates make a huge difference. And I didn't get that memo.

I transfered to a university out-of-state and once again started to bloom like a sunflower (a bit cliche since I was in Kansas).

But I was still a stranger in a strange land. A year abroad in Costa Rica made me aware of how unprepared I was for the world. By the time I'd lost my passport and plane tickets in Peru... I no longer cared.

Once back I decided to stay in Kansas, moving to a small farming town and then to a larger town in the Czech-lands of Nebraska.

All of this mattered when I moved to two inner city neighborhoods with people I had never interacted with. Finally, another small city was my un-doing.

I escaped to Oklahoma to heal; but, scars were torn off when I became homeless in Kansas (third time was not a charm). Finally Montana, another surprise, at least to me.

In all my global travels since, the words to this song speak to me.

Stranger
In a stranger’s land
New chance to know who I am
If I have the strength
To begin again


Note: Dimash has a range of C2 to D8. He plays multiple instruments and sings in multiple languages. He is one of the greatest singers of all time. He's from Kazakhstan.



New ground
Far as I can see
New ground
Underneath my feet
Stranger
In a stranger’s land
New chance to know who I am
If I have the strength
To begin again

Somewhere in my heart in ancient times I wandered
Through these valleys I have climbed among these hills
Faces from a past I’m haunted by their mem’ries
Lives and loves I’ve lost I feel them in me still

New ground
Far as I can see
New ground
Underneath my feet
Stranger
In a stranger’s land
New chance to know who I am
If I have the strength
To begin again


For:
FORUM
Sound & Vision Contest  (E)
A completely unoriginal and easy to enter contest - CLOSED - Judging taking place.
#2275100 by Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness

© Copyright 2022 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035937-Stranger-in-a-strangers-land