*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036844-Prospective-Partnerships
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2193834
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1036844 added August 24, 2022 at 4:13pm
Restrictions: None
Prospective Partnerships
Previously: "The Search for Support

[Text by rugal]

You hem and haw a bit over what to do but you quickly decide that you can't tell these three anything. For a start you only really know Mike by name and sight and Josie you know even less. Worse still is Kim. You knew Kim once, way back in middle school, and she was always very nice to you. She'd even been out to your house a few times when you'd been in group projects or to help you study something that was giving you trouble.

But that was a long time ago and as the two of you moved in opposite directions soon after starting at Westside so too did your interactions dry up. Sure Kim might still offer you a smile and a warm hello if she sees you but little more than that and in effect not that different from how she treats most other students.

No way could you try and convince her that you have a magic book. So when she asks why you made it you can only squeak out a dull response.

You at least hang around for the rest of the period though you don't speak as much as the other three -- kept largely on task by Kim -- talk about a group project they have for a class they all share. You can't help but to feel a bit left out but then you guess that feeling somewhat left out while sitting at a table girls like Kim and Josie beats getting wailed on or harassed by Horner and Spencer.

When the bell eventually rings everyone bids goodbye as the group brakes up though Mike claps you on the back before you can start walking away.

"So what do you think?" Mike asks you with a grin as he walks with you out of the library.

"Think?" you ask in confusion.

"About Josie. She's nice right?"

"Oh, sure I guess. I mean you guys were more focused on your stuff but she seemed friendly enough," you answer.

"Cute too, huh?"

You raise an eyebrow as you look over at him. Just what is he getting at? "Yeah, she's not bad looking," you reply. "Why? Are you interested in her?"

"Am I--?" Mike starts but catches himself and laughs. "Not really but you know, she is single."

He laughs again as you walk through the halls towards the fourth period class that you both share. The topic quickly moves from Josie and whether or not she's attractive to some random other stuff. You've ever really talked with Mike but he's a pretty easygoing and friendly guy you conclude.

"Yo, so you got any extracurriculars? Clubs your in after school or something?" he asks as you approach Gladstone's classroom.

"Not really," you tell him.

"You should join us out at Top Shelf after school some time," he says.

"Us?"

"Yeah! Me and Carlos got a thing we do where we go out there, watch some movies, then review 'em for Youtube," he explains. "But we're always looking for people to hang out. Philip and Josiah are out there a lot, your boy Tilley too. We'd definitely love to have you hang out with us some time."

He claps you on the back again as he walks past you, into Gladstone's classroom and takes his seat by Carlos.

* * * * *

While you think about what Mike said you pretty much go through the motions for fourth period as you impatiently wait for the clock to hit the end of the hour and the lunch bell to ring. But more than paying attention to anything going on in class, you're instead paying attention to the students that occupy it. You still want to share the book with someone but you're still not sure who with.

"Whoa!" a voice cries out. The bell to end fourth period has rung and you're walking out though still in a something of a ponderous daze such that you weren't paying much attention. But snapped back into the real world you suddenly are for the voice belongs to Catherine Muskov, co-captain of the track team and one of the most popular -- and beautiful -- girls in school.

"Sorry!" you exclaim as you take a step back.

"Sorry?" she asks causing you to gulp. "It's fine, don't worry," she says with a titter. "Anyway you're Will, right?"

"Um, yeah. You, uh, know my name?" you manage to sputter out.

"Sure. We share the same class, don't we?" she responds casually. Her face is relaxed but serious as she takes a few seconds to study you. Then she smiles and her eyes light up. "You should really come out to one of my parties some time. We could always use more bodies."

"M-me?" you ask as the word almost catches in your throat. But before you can say anything else you're interrupted by the arrival of Mandy Tiller.

"C'mon Catherine, don't tease him," she says while giggling as she grabs Catherine by the elbow and leads her out of the classroom.

You nearly trip over your own jaw as you begin to leave as well.

* * * * *

Lunch goes about as normal as usual though Caleb is flippant when you excitedly tell him about Catherine's invite telling you not to get too excited and that she was probably just being nice. At the same time this causes some crass words from Keith about what he'd do at one of Catherine's parties.

Yet despite all of this you're still not any closer to finding a partner to share the book with and it's back to being front of mind by the time lunch ends and you head off to your sixth period calculus class. The work is a little more serious and so you don't have time to really daydream and think like you did before lunch but you still make note of a few potentials throughout the day and make mental notes of them.

When the bell for the end of last period rings, you're left wondering what to do seeing as you still don't have any solid names and wonder if you should've just shown it to Mike and them back in third period... and that's when an idea hits you.

* * * * *

It was a question Mike had asked earlier wondering if the book and mask were related to D&D stuff. If anyone would be into something like this it'd be Christian Knouse and his tabletop gaming buddies which is why you're now sitting with them in King Kong Comics while they seem to be doing more arguing about roleplaying than actual roleplaying. You kind of want to consider it a wash and leave when you hear the ringing of the bell on the door.

"Hey guys," someone calls out. "Gillian not here?"

"Nah," Darrell Parson says looking up. "I think Braydon said she was going to be by later though."

You follow his gaze to see a girl who you don't recognize but who immediately stands out -- in spite of her simple t-shirt and jeans ensemble -- for one reason: she's seriously cute. Elfin features and dark eyes with a mischievous glint to them, hair that's dyed a deep red and freckles liberally dotting her face and arms.

"Sucks. I'm just running in to grab some stuff and I was hoping I could see her while I was here," she says and you're surprised at how she can seem to make disappointment cute.

"You don't want stick around?" asks Christian.

"Can't," she pouts. "Alyssa wants us to get together in a bit."

She goes back to talking to Eric while you finally make the excuse that you're going out to get some air. Which you do, standing just outside the door while you check your phone. You yelp in surprise when you feel something poke you in the side and almost trip over yourself when you see that girl.

"Hey," she says. Her look is friendly but curious and her voice chipper.

"Uh, hey yourself," you say nervously. "You know those jokers?"

She laughs at that but waves it off. "They're good guys but I mostly know them through Gillian. I don't think I've ever seen you out here though," she says.

"I don't get out here much," you state. Without any real follow up you point to the small stack of comics she's holding. "So what are you reading?"

This goes into a conversation over the next few minutes about the comics she reads and likes and you have to admit you're more a video game guy than a comics one which leads to a some light conversation about favorite games until she says she finally says that she needs to get going. But not before she yanks your phone from you and fiddles with it before handing it back.

"We should talk some time," she says with a smile and a wave before bouncing off to her car.

For the second time that day your jaw wants to hit the ground. Your phone's open to your contacts and in it is her name and a number.

Though Christian and his pals razz you a bit when you come back into the store. They saw the conversation through the glass door and make a point to tell you that Natalie Dawkins, the girl you'd been talking to, is nice and all but...

"She's part of some group of gossips over at Eastman," says Howie Baylor, "so she'd probably just pump you for Westside gossip if you actually talked to her."

* * * * *

You're actually now feeling a little better by the time you get home. An invitation to a party from Catherine Muskov? Natalie's number? Did someone upstairs feel bad for you today and decide to give you a break?

And it's as you're running high on this feeling once you're in your room that you realize... maybe you've found someone to show the book to. Someone who might be impressed by seeing it, who might think you're cool or even... you stop to catch your breath.

Could you really show the book to someone like Catherine Muskov though? Would she even believe you?

Or what about Genesis Lee? She's a band girl from sixth period. Not bad looking but not spectacular either. Maybe someone like that though, someone who doesn't stand out, would find something like this interest.

Or Natalie Dawkins. Despite Howie's warnings you wonder if you should use that number she gave you to try and meet up with her. Maybe she'd be really impressed by it.

But you stop yourself. No, that would all be too crazy right? Too convenient? Maybe you should forget it and just accept Mike's invite to hang out.

Next: "The Mystery of the Girl from the East

© Copyright 2022 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036844-Prospective-Partnerships