*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036886-The-Mystery-of-the-Girl-from-the-East
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2193834
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1036886 added August 25, 2022 at 2:33pm
Restrictions: None
The Mystery of the Girl from the East
Previously: "Prospective Partnerships

[Text by rugal]

You're not really sure what to do. After all, you don't know Genesis or her friends—she was merely a name that popped into your head—and you highly doubt someone like Catherine would find an old book—or you—all that interesting. But Natalie might. Of course, you know her less than you do Genesis but if she's geeky enough to come to the comic shop and is friendly with Christian and the other roleplayers, then she might be geeky enough to find something like this interesting.

That's if the number she gave you is even hers and she's not just messing with you. But something inside of you says that you should take a chance and try and so, going against your usual instincts, you send a message to that number asking if she wants to hang out. You don't really expect anything so you're surprised when you actually do get a message back a few minutes later.

lol rite now?

It's simple but at least you know, or at least more earnestly believe, that the number actually does belong to her. no its late. maybe tomorrow? we can meet @ the comic shop, you reply.

gigantic robot?

no. king kong

jus messin wit u lmao
sure we can meet after school
c ya then!


Well hell, that was much easier than you'd have thought it would be. Tomorrow you'll properly get the chance to hang out with this Natalie girl and you can't help but to be excited... but of course you don't actually know a thing about her. You really only know what the other guys told you and you can't help but wonder if that's why she was so quick to agree to meet up with you. It's not like you have tons of Westside gossip so would she drop you as soon as she realizes that you're well that's not worth being tapped?

Even ignoring that, how would you bring up the book to her in the first place?

Right, the book... and the mask. With a sigh you grab the mask and cloth from your backpack and get to polishing it. However, by the time you've finished for the night it still feels like very little progress has been made.

* * * * *

You're restless for the rest of the night and that restlessness hasn't faded by the time you get up for school in the morning. Even your mother seems to notice and asks you if there's anything wrong, though you lie and tell her that you're just trying to think of what to write for a short essay due by the end of the week. You realize that was a mistake when she gives you a look after you tell her that you'll be home a little later because you're meeting some friends after school. However, you assure her that you'll have the assignment done in time.

At school, you quickly seek out Caleb and Keith as you hang around waiting for classes to start. "Either of you know if Christian Knouse and them have lunch fifth period?" you ask.

"The fuck you wanna know about them for? You wanna pretend you're some kinda gnome wizard or something?" Keith asks with a snort.

"No," you say while glaring at him, "but they're regulars over at King Kong Comics and I figured I'd ask them about someone I ran into there."

"Who?" comes the simple interjection from Caleb.

"None of your business," you retort.

"Was it a girl?" asks Keith. "Yeah if it was them, it was probably Gillian right? But why the fuck you interested in her? She's nice lookin' an' all but you know she's goin' out with that weirdo Delp, right?"

"I'm not... it's not Gillian, okay!?"

"You share fourth period with Delp, right? Why not talk to him if you're so curious?" Caleb asks.

You're dismissive of that, however. "Come on, Caleb, would you want to talk to him?"

"No," he answers, "but I'm also not the one running around asking about people his girlfriend."

You merely grumble with exasperation. "So I'm stuck then?" you ask.

"Yeah, probably," states Caleb. "Actually, I think Knouse's got a study hall or something fifth but that'd mean skipping out on lunch."

"Pfft, like I care about lunch," you declare with an eye roll. "I'll try and pick his brain then, thanks."

The three of you then move on from that to continue talking about other random stuff until the bell rings, announcing for everyone to get to class. You and Caleb, sharing Walberg's class first, part from Keith and it's as your walking towards class that you spring another request on him.

"Hey, so do you want to come out to the comic shop with me after school?" you ask him.

"Why are you asking me?" he shoots back.

"Because I'm actually kinda nervous so, I don't know, I figured it'd be nice to have my friend's support."

He eyes you and shakes his head. "So it really is about a girl. Who is it?"

"It's not Gillian," you answer quickly and defensively. "It's nobody you know. She goes to Eastman."

At that Caleb laughs. "Oh boy, yeah, I'm sure she does," he says with a snicker, "and my girlfriend lives two counties over!"

"Shut up," you grumble, realizing it was a mistake to ask him about anything.

* * * * *

In fourth, you get a good look at Braydon Delp and can't help but to wonder just what it is that someone like Gillian sees in him. He's a dour and serious looking goth dressed head to toe in dark colors. He makes no secret of the fact he's into magic and the occult—in fact, he's rather notorious around school for it—and yet someone like that is able to get a girl as cute as Gillian Keifer while you get tossed out by Lisa like it's nothing?

But you stop before allowing yourself to be consumed by thoughts of the injustice of it all. Instead, once the bell rings, you dart and head towards the library where you eventually find Christian Knouse alone at a table. You walk over, place your backpack down and take a seat across from him with only a token of acknowledgment in return. But you don't let that deter you and get right into the topic at hand.

"So you guys are out at the comic shop a lot, right?" you begin. "How well do you know Natalie Dawkins?"

Christian looks up from his book and cocks an eyebrow. "Less than you'd probably like," he responds. "Gillian knows her way better than the rest of us."

"Well is what Howie said about her true? You know, about her being some kind of gossip at Eastman?"

"As far as any of us can tell," he says. "She's tried asking us about stuff a few times but it's not like we're plugged in so it never goes anywhere."

"So she just gave me her number because she wants gossip out of me?" you ask with audible disappointment.

"Wait, you didn't actually call her did you?"

"No!" you protest which is, if you want to be pedantic, the truth; you never did call her. "But wouldn't you be curious if a girl gave you her number out of the blue?"

"Sure," responds Christian, "but I'd think that she'd escaped from the funny farm. Look, Will, if you really want to know about her then talk to Gillian. Like I said, she knows her better than the rest of us."

* * * * *

You don't have any idea how you'd actually talk to Gillian about her until your own study hall in seventh period. Not long after you enter, you notice Gillian and remember that she too has a study hall. So, probably a little too enthusiastically, you wave her over. "Are you going to be out at the comic shop?" you ask once she's taken a seat and greeted you.

"My hubby's going out there today so I probably will as well. Why, what's up?"

"No, well, it's just that I ran into Natalie yesterday... uh, for the first time," you tell her. "And everyone said you'd be the best person to ask about her."

Gillian looks at you curiously. "So are you interested in Natalie?" she asks. You try to dismiss it but she simply gives you a tiny, amused smile. "Uh huh, what'd she do?" she asks.

"She grabbed my phone and put her number in it. She agreed to meet up with me today," you admit. "Uh, Christian and his friends were saying that she's, like, some kind of gossip at Eastman so she's just pumping me for information."

Gillian laughs a little at that. "They're overblowing it," she states. "I've known her for a long time and she's just always been the type who does whatever comes to mind. You know, really impulsive, leaping without looking, that kind of person."

"So you, um, don't think she meant anything by it?"

"Sorry, Will, but there's times where not even I know what she's thinking," she smiles. "She's just... Natalie. That's what makes her fun."

* * * * *

So even after having talked to Gillian you still don't think you have even the slightest clue about Natalie. You don't even know if she'll retain interest enough to keep talking to you, much less if she'd be interested in the book. When school lets out you send a text to Caleb asking once more if he'd be willing to head out to the store with you but he turns you down once again.

So alone and now feeling even more nervous, you head out to King Kong Comics. You great Eric Kim, the portly but friendly, owner and browse. At one point, the door chimes and you look to see if it's Natalie but it's only another girl. Her eyes go wide when she sees you and she quickly averts her gaze. She looks cute but she seems really shy... and really young, you think to yourself as you turn your attention away from her.

All you can really do is wait for Natalie to show up though maybe you can pass the time by trying to talk to that girl.

Next: "Books and Bases

© Copyright 2022 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036886-The-Mystery-of-the-Girl-from-the-East