*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037316-Birthday-Bliss
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1037316 added September 4, 2022 at 6:15pm
Restrictions: None
Birthday Bliss
         The grinning birthday girl straightened her lopsided polka-dotted party hat and presented her cheek for a kiss.
         "I never turn down affection from a handsome man," she crooned.
         Gladys cackled as the young man blushed. She grabbed his hands hanging limply at his side and squeezed.
         "Oh, honey you should see the expression on your face! I don't bite."
         With one last pat, she freed the deer-in -the -headlight well wisher and waved him off.
         "I've still got it. I make men quake in their boots."
          Ensconced in her balloon-decorated easy chair Gladys greeted her'subjects' one by one. A giggle would escape every few minutes. Imagine people lined up to say hello to her. She never tired of hearing she looked good for her age. Flattery never lost its appeal. A girl could still appreciate that others took notice of her primping. Dress to impress had never failed her.
         "Girl you don't look a day over twenty-two. How do you do it?"
         "Gladys Dave is here. He's asking for you."
         One hand reached for her hair smoothing imaginary strays and the other rearranged the folds of her dress. A few of the balloons obscured her view of the crowded room and they were pushed aside.
         Somebody caressed her gnarled hand and Gladys looked up to see Dave smiling at her. Without prompting he bussed her on the cheek and whispered in her ear.
         "It's wonderful to see you here in your home. I can wait for as long as it takes before you show up at my place. You've got several more years in you, right?"
         Gladys beamed and nodded. That Dave always knew what to say. As he wandered away to speak with familiar faces, she blurted.
         "I've always liked Dave. It's a shame he's going to see me naked one day. I wouldn't wish that horror on anyone. I suppose I won't notice, or care. Oh, is it time for cake?"
         Many voices blended to sing 'Happy Birthday' to the eighty-eight year old birthday girl. Dave, the local undertaker, carried the glowing, smoking two-tiered cake to Gladys encouraging her to blow out the candles.
( 356 words )

© Copyright 2022 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037316-Birthday-Bliss