*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038461
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2208434
Most entries are going to be E rated but some may go beyond that.
#1038461 added October 26, 2022 at 10:39pm
Restrictions: None
Driving to the Mountains
"Rocky Mountains it is," I said as I went into my Pontiac Grand Am 1990. Only redesigned with a rocket gauge in the back. I patted the steering wheel with my left hand as I turned the ignition with my right hand. The engine roared to life. "That's it Molly, you can do this."

I pulled on the gear and shifted it into reversed the car from the driveway. The journey was just one day's drive away. I was going to make it tonight. Of course, the smart idea would be to spend a night in the hotel before driving to the mountains. I couldn't wait to get there in my dream car. Then my cat came out meowing at me. I couldn't leave behind my cat. But I had plans for my neighbor to take care of him. I honked and my cat went back inside the house through the doggy door.

I drove on out of town and onto the interstate. The cars passed by me as if they were in a rush. I was in no rush at all to get to where I wanted to go. I continued to drive. A couple hours passed and I ran into stopped traffic. I looked at my gas gauge and sighed. I needed to pull over soon to get some gas. Otherwise I would run out of gas and have to solve the problem before dark. A couple hours was a long way from home. The traffic creeped along until I started seeing cones. Construction work was blocking a lane. I pulled over to the other lane and then followed the creeping cars. My gas gauge went to zero and the construction wasn't over yet.

I ran out of gas along the way. A person came up to by my window so I rolled the window down. "Excuse me madam. What is the matter?"

"I ran out of gas and my car died," I replied.

"Let me help you. I got a gas can filled with gas. It would just be enough to get you to the nearest gas station."

"Oh that would be great. I want to get to town by dark if I could help it."

"You will be on your way."

The person disappeared and it felt like eternity. I heard some more cars honking behind me. There was no way the car would run. I waited for the person to come back. When the person finally came back he showed me the gas can. I unlocked the cover to the gas so that he could fill me up. After he was ready I turned on the key switch. My car started as if nothing had happened. I thanked the person and then started driving, hoping the construction would end so that I could drive to the nearest gas station. Not far did I have to wait to find a gas station.

Night fell as I put gas in and I yawned. Since the streets were clearer I could dare use the rocket gauge installed in my car. I paid for the gas and got inside. Then I drove a ways back onto the interstate. "Okay Molly, show me what you could do."

The rocket gauge blared and the car jerked. Next thing I knew I was up in the air. I wasn't the only car rising into the air though. All around me cars were taking flight. We veered in the direction of the road, leaving behind the trucks that couldn't fly. I went the rest of the way and filled up with gas again near my destination.

Word Count: 616
Prompt: What are you driving? Where are you going?
Contest: "BlackAdder's Cantina Space Opera Contest

© Copyright 2022 Angelica- House Florent B & W (UN: dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Angelica- House Florent B & W has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038461