*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
4
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039098-The-Queenly-Mask
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1039098 added October 12, 2022 at 2:20am
Restrictions: None
The Queenly Mask
Prompt five for
Journalistic Intentions  (18+)
This is for the journal keeping types that come to PLAY! New round starts February 1!
#2213121 by Elisa the Bunny Stik
The woman wearing the Queenly Mask


https://youtu.be/ihd7ofrwQX0

In this age of the “Me Too,” movement the pendulum has swung far away from its usual arc. Women no longer allow men to speak down to them, patronise them or sexually demean them.
Well, perhaps this is how the media portrays the status quo, but is it really so?
That scenario is the end play, the place where women hope it will be, one day. No, we still live in a very patriarchal society, let’s not pretend it is any other way.
However things are definitely changing for the better.

This week was the 10 th anniversary of a speech given in parliament by the then Prime Minister of Australia. Julia Gillard had been ridiculed for her voice, her dress sense, her large bottom and her relationship with her partner. There was one parliamentarian, Tony Abbot who seemed to delight in getting under Julia’s skin until one day she gave a fifteen minute speech in the house which was the forevermore called, “ The Mysogeny Speech.
I was watching a replay of the speech from ten years ago and I sensed the mood had changed. What society will accept now from men toward women is different. The change has been a subtle one but the fact I was more shocked at her treatment from the perspective of 2022 rather than how I viewed it in 2012 says it all.
More women are winning the race for the top jobs although, rather than the norm, it is the exception.
New Zealand has had a very popular woman prime minister for many years. She has carried out her duty to her country in difficult times with steel and determination yet also with a woman’s touch.
The United Kingdom has a new Prime Minister a woman, Liz Truss. She has a huge task ahead of her, it will be interesting to see her balance the role of the top job without losing her femininity. Is it possible to avoid losing something, some gentleness when holding such a position ? Do women have to “grow balls,” to command respect?



© Copyright 2022 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039098-The-Queenly-Mask