*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040006-Tom-Petty-and-The-Heartbreakers
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1040006 added October 31, 2022 at 12:26am
Restrictions: None
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
"Resurrection Jukebox | Day 2 | Prompt




"American Girl"
by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers


While this song isn't my favorite by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, I'm including it because it's the very last song he played at his very last concert. This is from the Hollywood Bowl on September 25, 2017, a stop on their 40th Anniversary tour of the United States. I actually considered trying to get tickets to this concert because I'd always wanted to see Tom Petty live, and the Hollywood Bowl is by far my favorite concert venue. I ended up not going, and to my and everyone else's surprise, this wound up being Tom Petty's last live performance because he died of accidental overdose just about a week later, on October 2, 2017.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were never my favorite band, but they were a band that was consistently very good. Especially later in their career, they had so many hits to draw from, every concert, every greatest hits album, etc. was just packed with great songs. Tom Petty is one of those artists that I can call up on Spotify and just randomize a playlist of all his tracks and listen to it for hours before I get into the lesser known stuff. And so many of his songs are just laid back, toe-tapping songs that I bet his concerts were really fun to go to. Not all spectacle and high energy and cranked up volume, but something you could take a picnic basket and some drinks to and enjoy listening to in the open fall air of an afternoon at the Hollywood Bowl.

I'd love for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to come back for one last performance or, maybe, for me to be able to go back in time to enjoy this last performance when it happened in 2017.

© Copyright 2022 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040006-Tom-Petty-and-The-Heartbreakers