*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043992-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1043992 added February 1, 2023 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
THTW 2023 Chp 2
         Darrel Matthews watched as Tim and Marissa Logan got out of their blue station wagon in the driveway of Pointe Bluff Manor behind his white work truck.
         "It looks like an old house," said Tim.
         "It is," said Darrel. "I know it was here for many years before I came to town."
         Mr. Logan had a hint of grey hair at his temples but it did not make him look old. He wore a brown three-piece suit that was rumpled with sensible brown shoes. His blue green eyes showed bags from lack of sleep.
         Darrel Matthews had dark brown hair that reached just past his shoulders. His rugged work boots with jeans and denim jacket highlighted his cool blue eyes.
         "I guess we really should thank you for coming out at this hour," said Marissa. She tried to keep her dress down by holding her drab overcoat closed. The wind had pulled strands of her blonde hair out of her loose bun. Her eyes sparkled green in her pale face that matched her slender frame.
         "Shall we take a look inside?" asked Darrel. He took the old skeleton key and clicked it in the lock. The doors were double, solid oak, with a carving of a tree on them. The lock opened and Darrel easily pushed the doors. Darrel's flashlight revealed a layer of black dust covering everything inside.
         Tim knelt and rubbed some of it between his fingers. "It's soot."
         "Was there a fire?" asked Marissa shakily.
         "Not that I know of," said Darrel.
         There was a creak and Darrel pulled Tim back by his shirt collar just as the double doors slammed shut. "I think that's enough for tonight," said Darrel.
         "Our funds are low," said Tim." We aren't going to be able to stay at the Motel in Pearl Cove much longer."
         "We'll get started in the morning; do the inspection and clean some."
         "Our son, Brad, and his girl, Nancy, want to see the place tomorrow."
         "That's fine. We should be able to give a preliminary report."
         "Okay, see you tomorrow."

         The keys to Cannover House were in the files that Mitch had given to Kristin. She opened the front door to find that little had changed. Kristin almost expected her Aunt to appear from the kitchen or glide down the stairs to greet her with open arms. She brushed away the tears that threatened to roll down her cheeks.
         Linda Shelby had slipped on the stairs and fallen, breaking her neck. Kristin didn't want the image of her Aunt's broken body to take up residence in her memories. She purposely missed the funeral so she wouldn't have to deal with all the people her Aunt had helped over the years.

         

© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043992-Chapter-2