*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
9
10
12
17
24
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044290-Cats-eyes
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1044290 added February 5, 2023 at 9:10am
Restrictions: None
Cat’s eyes

https://www.writing.com/main/redirect?htime=1675606117&hkey=864556b6d7124573476b...

This image is unsettling to me. Why? I have no reason other than my distrust of cats. Unlike dogs cats are aloof, supercilious, independent creatures. I have been a cat owner in the past. I say ‘owner’ but that’s not really correct. Perhaps it’s the other way around. A cat may choose you to deliver life’s necessities. Even that statement isn’t correct. Cats can hunt for themselves. A cat will not starve without human input.
I have lots of stories about the cats in my life. The first was when I was maybe aged seven or eight. Her name was Whisky. A wild sort of beast. She was a Persian with very long hair but refused to be groomed. I wrote to a newspaper’s animal expert and asked how I could remove the knots and tangles from her fur. Along with advice, I received praise for my handwriting.
Our next cat came with us when my family moved house. She refused to stay and even though we’d moved about five miles she found her way home. After several rescues we gave up and she simply returned to our original home, which was a five acre property and went feral.
It wasn’t until my husband and I were living in Australia after emigrating from our home in the UK and we had three children did we allow another feline into our lives. My daughter was about seven years old and she pestered enough to make me weaken my resolve to never have another cat. Her name was Lisa. A lovely name but she was never called it and was Pusscat until she died. She hated coming inside the house and sat on a post outside the kitchen window. That was the nearest she ever got to any of us. I did feed her but I think she preferred hunting her own food. She lived a very long time.
All through my life I have had dogs. I’ve loved each one and they’ve loved me unconditionally. I have photos of all of them, memories of all the funny things they’ve done and the times they’ve shown their love toward the family. Yet I can’t say the same about the cats. I simply don’t believe they needed me. At the most it would be toleration. Cats get attached to places not people.

© Copyright 2023 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044290-Cats-eyes