*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044870-Chapter-9
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1044870 added February 15, 2023 at 9:37am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 9
THTW Chapter 9

         Kristin found a comfortable spot under one of the trees in the front yard. She could see and hear the children from her visions running and playing in the yard. Then she seen just the boy playing by himself. There was a cat in the yard. The boy went over and kicked it so hard that it could barely limp away. The boy caught the cat and hit it again and again with a rock. Then he dragged it away by the tail and threw its body down the old well.
         Kristin shook off the vision and got out her Aunt's planner from her purse. She looked up a few numbers and started dialing her cell phone.
         One of the numbers Kristin called was the coroner's office. She wanted to find out if Dr. Denison had found out about the blood sample. He said he didn't want to discuss it over the phone, but she should come see him right away. Kristin got in her bug and headed over.
         "Kristin, where did you say you got this blood from?"
         "It came through the shower of the main bathroom at Pointe Bluff Manor."
         "Unless the DNA results are wrong, which is statistically unlikely, the blood came from a woman who has been dead for almost 50 years." He slid the files across his desk. "It came back as belonging to Patricia Maitlin."
         "It says that the Maitlins lived in the manor in the 1940s."
         "You don't seem surprised."
         "Do you know her medical history? Was Mrs. Maitlin sickly?"
         "I didn't go into the case files. I just found out it was her DNA and got out."

         "Thank you for the information. If I need anything else I'll call you."
         Kristin made a detour to the public library before going back to the manor. The clerk directed her to the microfiche section. Old news articles from the 1940s, particularly about the manor. She found several articles and printed them. She found an old photograph of the Maitlins. It was almost the same family scene as she had envisioned in Mitch's office.
         Kristin decided to not go back to the manor. She was exhausted and she needed to finish her article. She still had calls she wanted to make without being overheard. She called Darrel first and told him she would see him the next day.
         Kristin went to Cannover House and into the study.
          "Now listen up. There' cleaning and organizing needing to be done. I'm asking you not to get in my way."
          Kristin set to work finding holes in the bookshelves for the ones that were covering the desk and on the floor. She swept the floor, including the salt and herbs around the pentacle. She picked up candles and scraped the wax up. She checked to see what supplies her Aunt still had stocked. She dusted and wiped everything down and took notes on a pad.
          "I need to refresh my memory. How about a crash course in witchcraft 101?"
         A few books slid partway off the shelves. Kristin paged through each one before taking what she wanted to the reading chair and went and got her laptop. "I think my own book of shadows will be a bit more modern."

          Kristin read and took notes until her eyes got heavy. She took her laptop up to her room. It was late, but she still wanted to do a few more things. She looked up the proper websites and made some orders.
          When Kristin was finished it was almost dawn. She needed to rest. She could get a couple of hours sleep and have time to still run errands before heading to the manor. She should make it there by early afternoon.
          Kristin went to several stores searching for items she needed. There wasn't much of it available in Carroll County, and she would have to drive to Pearl Cove to find anything close. She didn't have time for that today. She stocked up on office supplies and bought a printer for her laptop. After dropping everything at the house, she drove to the manor.
          Darrel met her at her car.
          "Mitch has some figures for you on how much everything is running."
          "I need to talk to the boys."
          "They're watching the kids play on the playset they built. Iris is there too."
          "Okay, I think I'll go find Mitch first."
          Something drew Kristin to the basement. Brad was outside helping Tyrel. There had been little damage to his hand.
                   Mitch was assessing costs for renovating the basement.
                   "Hi Kris. Just finishing up."
                   "I need some research done. I'm sure the boys can find what I need."
                   The next day was a Sunday and Kristin didn't want to wake the Logans too early. She drove to Bixby and had breakfast at the caf Mitch came in and joined her for coffee.
          "I talked to the boys," said Mitch. "They said they would see what they could dig up."
          "That's a start. The Maitlins were there in the late 30s early 40s. I hope they find out more on them as well."
          "I'll give them a call. I'm sure they're awake."
          Mitch called Dean as Kristin signaled for more coffee.
          "Okay. Dean said they would look up what they can online today." Mitch glanced out the window. "Looks like Darrel is picking up supplies from the hardware store."
          Kristin went outside and called for Darrel. He heard her and waived. Darrel joined them in the caf
          "We were trying to remember the history of the manor," said Kristin.
          "It was always empty," said Mitch. "I didn't even know it belonged to Mrs. Shelby. I thought it belonged to the city or something."
          "The only thing happening for years was kids trying to break in and me doing lawn maintenance," said Darrel.
          "I wonder what it's going to like now," said Mitch.
          Kristin got a far away look. "I think there's going to be more activity than we bargained for."
          "What do you think is up there?"
          "I think there is something else pulling the strings up there besides average spirits."
          "Let's give the Logans another hour and then I'll call and see if they're ready for us," said Darrel.
          "I'm going to have an estate sale for Cannover House, and there might be things from the manor that the Logans want to contribute."
          "I'll help you get everything organized when you are ready."
          "We can start evaluating what is worth saving and take inventory."
                   "Okay, I'll ride with you, Kris," said Mitch.







         






         


© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044870-Chapter-9