*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
5
6
7
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045071-In-the-Earlier-Days
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2231553
Fictitious and delicious!
#1045071 added February 18, 2023 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
In the Earlier Days
Dana pushed her scarf-turned mask below her nostrils as she stepped inside the condo. Toeing off her shoes, she glanced out the window to see a brilliant blue sky. It felt like the skies were almost taunting the residents of Minneapolis. The good news is that the governor has loosened some of the stay at home rules, which allowed people to step outside for some exercise. In fact, a few streets in the neighborhood had been cordoned off from car traffic, allowing people more space to walk, bike and otherwise roll through the area. Dana had seen people taking advantage of all the open space to move during her walk around the neighborhood.

She was in the process of unwinding the yellow scarf around her neck and face when Quinn stepped out of the bathroom.

"Hey, there," he greeted her. "How was your walk?"

"Reasonably warm," Dan told him. "It's kind of strange actually meandering the neighborhood and seeing things in bloom. I'm trying to think of the last time I actually did that."

Quinn stopped to mull this over. "I'm wondering the same thing myself."

"I wish my job wasn't based in the 'burbs. Then I could walk home from downtown after work so I can see the annual bunches of blooming bulbs and trees."

"Well, it seems like working from home is good for that."

"Eh, maybe? I mean, today is Saturday. I was out walking for a couple hours. If I spent my entire lunch hour outside, I wouldn't have covered much ground. Keep in mind my legs are nowhere near as long as yours. My steps are teeny tiny compared to how you walk."

At that, Quinn chuckled. "I suppose that's fair. Did you see anything else aside from all the plants?"

"Well, there was one kid trying to pop a wheelie on his bike. He was struggling with the handlebars, though. It was weird to see him be able to pedal and try that stunt in the middle of the street. I almost wish I'd had my camera."

"Sounds like quite a sight."

"It was. Had he succeeded, it would have been like watching a YouTube video in person."

"Except I don't think you tend to watch stupid stunt videos like that on your lunch break."

"True," Dana admitted. "It's mostly atheist content that pops up in my recommendations. And anti-MLM stuff. I swear that really ought to be the next frontier in feminism, given how those companies are poaching all the currently unemployed, homebound people. It just emphasizes how different our situations are."

"Yeah, we're still working, and we don't have to go anywhere."

"Which is great for you. Meanwhile, I'm over here obliterating the introvert stereotypes by wanting to go back to an office so bad. All the pretty trees and stuff here can't make up for the fact that I'm essentially stuck in my own neighborhood, and it sucks. I'm not about to go protest at the capitol, because I know why I have to say home. It's just a bit of a struggle to manage the physical confinement."

"Did going out for a walk help?"

Dana shrugged. "A little. I think I could stand to find a bigger outdoor space somewhere else to walk around for a bit."

"Is Franconia Sculpture Park open?" Quinn asked.

"Hmmm...I don't know. I can check, but if it is, that's definitely a possibility."

With that, Dana stepped further into the house to grab her phone. Research beckoned.




Deceptive Clarity


© Copyright 2023 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045071-In-the-Earlier-Days