*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045083-Chapter-11
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1045083 added February 19, 2023 at 9:35am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 11
THTW 2023 Chapter 11

         "Let's get to work," said Kristin. "There are a few things I thought I would send to the Logans, but that doesn't matter now."
         "We could lie," said Shaun. "Say it was donated by someone else."
         "No. It can go to the storage for sale."
         "It was a descent thought though," said Dean.
         They packed the stuff for storage on the trailer. Kristin sent the boys to drop off one trailer full, then had it half full again by the time Darrel and Mitch arrived.
         "This place is getting empty," said Mitch. "You should be ready to sell everything in no time."
         "Good. I need to get back to my life," said Kristin.
         "I haven't heard you talk about your life away from here," said Mitch.
         "If she wants to go back that's fine," said Darrel. "I'm going to wait in the truck."
         Kristen sighed. "I don't know what to do about the study; I guess I'll put it in storage. I don't want to sell it though."
         "We can worry about that tomorrow," said Dean. "Everything is almost done at the manor. Why don't Shaun and I help Kristin here?"
         "That sounds okay," said Mitch. "We can call if we need you."

         "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow," said Kristin.
         Everyone left and Kristin leaned with her back on the door crying. She was enjoying being back with the guys, even Darrel, and was starting to feel at home again. This house could never be home again, too many memories. Kristin brushed the tears away got angry. Staying in Carroll County meant dealing with small town mentalities and opinions like that of Marissa Logan. She didn't want to deal with that.

         The next morning Kristin started packing the supplies in the study. Every piece felt precious and valuable, and she handled them with extreme care. She marked each bin as "fragile: do not sell".
         Kristin called Dean to tell him to pick up more bins. He told her that they were working on that research she wanted, but they would be there in a couple hours.
         Kristin served sun tea in the living room when the boys arrived.
         "We found out more about the Maitlin family," said Dean. "Jacob Maitlin was a wealthy man that owned most of Bixby, which was the whole area until Crescent Pointe Falls declared itself its own district. It was called Maitlin Falls up until the 1960s. Not long after 1942, the daughter, Mikala Maitlin, fell ill. She recovered, but her mother, Jessica, fell ill afterwards. There was no connection between the two illnesses. Jessica became deathly ill and was bedridden for her final days. Their son, James, threw his sister down the well. Jacob went insane, having lost both his wife and daughter. He thought his son to be disturbed. He set fire to the manor, with all of them inside. All this was in 1943."
         Kristin spread the pictures on the table. "It explains some things. These are the people I have been seeing in my visions. I have been sensing something more sinister. They could not have done some of things that have happened. It's just not within their capabilities."
         "We couldn't find anything before 1937, when the Maitlins bought it. The clerk said there was a fire that destroyed all the records before 1935," said Shaun.
         "We did find something strange though," said Dean. "There was a Jonathan Talbot who restored the manor in 1950 but didn't own it. In fact, there are no other owners listed until Mrs. Shelby bought it. Thomas Hurley was listed as rebuilding the manor in the 60s. The strange thing is, just on a whim, we compared the signatures of Talbot and Hurley. They matched. We found death certificates for both men. Talbot died in 54 and Hurley in 67. We tried to get more information on them but there just isn't any."
         "Maybe Mitch will be able to dig something up on them. You know how much he loves digging into people's pasts."
         "Let's get back to packing," said Shaun. "I'll get the bins from the Wrangler."
         "I have some stuff packed in the study but it is fragile. We should put some of the books on the trailer first."
         "I'll get those fragile boxes out here so they'll be out of the way," said Dean.

         

          Kristin went into the study to do something she needed.
         "I want some books left out for me to consider my witchcraft education. What do you recommend?"
         Three books moved out a little on the shelves. Another book opened on the desk. A small diary fell off another shelf.
         "I'm hoping you'll stay with me. Your only other choice is to stay in storage."
         "Who are you talking to?" asked Shaun.
         "My Aunt's assistant. She didn't have an ordinary familiar. She just had this force that started helping her in here. I think it's a spirit."
         A pen picked itself up on the desk and scribbled on a notepad. Kristin looked. The name Derek was written."
         Kristin smiled. "It's nice to meet you Derek. I hope you will help us keep collections together as we pack."
         A pile of books slid and abutted the bins Shaun had brought in. A few more slid forwards on their shelves.
         "You understand what he's trying to do?" asked Shaun.
         "As plain as if he told me. Let's get these books in the first bin."
         When Dean started helping them pack books, he jumped when the books moved by themselves. Kristin giggled and explained about Derek. Shaun was standoffish when a book would move, but he would put it in the bin. When the trailer was full, they took a break to eat. Kristin ordered pizza.
         "We got a lot done," said Shaun.
         "There's not nearly as many books as it first looked," said Dean.
         "They just take up less room when packed."
         "What are you going to do with the books?" asked Fred.
         "I don't really know. Even packing them in storage has me feeling strange."
         "The storage is all you got for now."
         "I know. Let's get this load over there. I want to look around town for something."
         Seeing the storage space gave Kristin a little relief. It was well protected from the elements, and there was a good lock on it. There were guards patrolling; a couple of which had dogs.
         Kristin left the trailer at the storage facility and casually drove around Bixby. She stopped a moment in front of a few places for rent or sale and jotted some notes.
         "What are you looking for?" asked Shaun. "Mitch has listings and Darrel has done work on a lot of places."
         "I forgot Mitch served as the local real estate agent."
         Kristin drove to Mitch's office. Mitch and Tim Logan were there. Kristin had her head slightly down and avoided eye contact with Tim.
         "I don't think you would intentionally harm the children," said Tim. "James is so violent now and Bethany hardly speaks."
         "No one has become sickly I hope."
         "There's Nancy's morning sickness and Marissa's stress."
         "That's to be expected," said Kristin.
         "Tim and I were just talking," said Mitch. "The manor is not really an economical choice for the boutique or Tim's office. They'd be better off in Bixby."
         "Already ahead of you," winked Kristin. "We just went looking at places to rent." She handed Mitch the notes she had jotted.
         "I didn't know about these two. Must be for sale by owner."
         "There's a little place down the street from here that would be great for the boutique," said Tim. "and I will take you up on your offer to take the empty office here."
         Mitch smiled and patted Tim on the back. "Welcome to a satellite office of Griffin, Inc. I'm sure you won't regret it."
         "I'd like to look at the potential boutique," said Kristin. "See if I can help."
         "We can all go. Just let me grab the keys."
         The building was one of the old novelty shops that used to litter Bixby. Kristin looked at the shelving inside and the mannequins.
         "This would work," said Tim. "Now for financing."
         "I can turn it into a rent-to-own instead of an outright sale," said Mitch.
         "My Aunt started a foundation to support small business owners. It could help with the deposit and a couple of months of rent."
         "I don't know if Marissa will accept it from you."
         "It isn't me; it is the foundation. My name wouldn't be involved except to sign the checks to Mitch."
         "We can get Marissa to come look, and I can talk to her about the foundation as if it were a county thing."
         "I don't understand why you still want to help after how we treated you, Kristin."
         "It's what my Aunt would want and it's part of my nature. That's all."
         Tim snapped off some pictures with his phone.




© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045083-Chapter-11