*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045267
Rated: GC · Book · Romance/Love · #2291018
A collection of stories (micro, short and long) on various topics
#1045267 added February 27, 2023 at 8:20pm
Restrictions: None
Waiting (13+)
A signature for Quills winners to use

I'm still waiting. As the seasons change and tattered scraps of autumnal leaves lie discarded beneath skeletal branches, I still watch for you. The cold rain slides in miserable drips down the splintered wood of this dilapidated park bench, skirting cracked paint and jagged splinters, to dampen my spirits, but not my skirts. The nights grow longer and frigid, and a wet fog lurks around the naked ankles of the holly shrubs, but my breath takes no form despite the chilly air. I have long since faded from the world, like a black and white family photograph that has felt the gentle caress of too many sunny days as it languished in its frame. No, there is no sunshine in my life now, no gentle caresses. Just the bite of a bitter wind as it rushes past to destinations unknown. Perhaps I didn't fade at all, but was washed away by time like a child's chalk drawing on the footpath.

You took my heart with you when you left, but you never came back. As time went by, I slowly grew used to the bleak emptiness of your side of the bed. The faint scent of your aftershave clung to your pillow, bringing a small degree of comfort as I clutched it each night, but now that's gone too. The memory of your laughter that used to play in my mind as a comforting refrain has been absent for so long now that I can't be sure if it was ever there at all. As I sit here, waiting, watching, weeping, the sky weeps too and the park feels devoid of life.

Every day became an exercise in fear and hope as I watched from behind net curtains, the delivery boys and girls in their neat postal uniforms cycling up the streets delivering telegrams full of grief and anguish to heartbroken housewives. As youthful legs pedalled hard and the wheels spun by without stopping at my door, I reminded myself that you would come home. Then the following morning the young messengers and I would dance the same macabre dance all over again. No telegram. The relief left me shaking and giddy, but I couldn't smile. For the next day we danced again.

The newspaper headlines screamed that the war had ended, and strangers in the streets shared shouts of exultation and dizzying dances of celebration. Hope bloomed as I dusted the house and baked your favourite treats. I waited. I watched as husbands and fathers returned with desolate eyes and grim expressions, with scars that told sad tales. Life slowly returned to the neighbourhood, but I waited for you.

Weeds have choked the tulips and daffodils that bore witness to our courting in this very park an eternity ago. The paving stones, where we stood on numerous occasions to share tender moments, are cracked, and the wrought iron fences have fallen drunkenly and lie shrouded beneath unkempt grass. No one comes here anymore. I hear hushed whispers echoing that this deserted little park is haunted. I have seen no ghosts. There is no one here but me. Watching. Waiting.


Written 29 July 2015. Winner of the 2015 Quill Award for Best Flash Fiction.

© Copyright 2023 Elle - on hiatus (UN: elle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elle - on hiatus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045267