*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045395-Chapter-13
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Paranormal · #2288000
This house wants to hurt those that Kristin loves.
#1045395 added February 23, 2023 at 8:29am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 13
THTW 2023 Chapter 13

         Kristin grabbed a sub on her way back to her house. She only had two major projects there: her Aunt's room and the kitchen. She knew before she got there which she would tackle.
         Kristin didn't want to work on either room when she got in the house. The rest of the house had already been stripped to skeletal remains; only what was necessary was left. Instead of working on packing, Kristin went too her room and read. She thought about the Logans, particularly Marissa, as she read. If she would cooperate it would be easier to stop this whole mess. Then again, there was that malevolent force.
         Kristin's cell phone rang. It was Darrel. Tim had told him to call her against Marissa's wishes. The activity was worse now and Tim was at his wits end. Kristin drove up to the manor right away.
         Kristin didn't knock she just tried to push the doors open. They opened a crack and slammed in her face.
          "They won't open," said Darrel from inside. "All other doors and windows are the same way. We can't get out."
         Kristin could hear Marissa screaming and the children crying. Tim was yelling at whatever was happening to stop. Kristin put her hands against the doors and chanted in a combination of languages. The doors opened wide just long enough for Kristin to dash inside.
         There was a red glow trying to pull Bethany out of Marissa's grab. Marissa looked weak and drawn. Bethany was coughing and crying. James was curled in a corner appeared on his back. He shielded his face and head in the corner. Tim and Darrel were dodging the items that were flying around.
         A force of some kind threw Kristin against the wall and pinned her there. A vase flew at her head, and she was just able to duck it. The force growled a bit and Kristin whistled in a high pitch. The force loosened its grip on Kristin. Kristin wiggled the rest of the way free. She had brought a bag in with her. She pulled out a sage smudge stick and an eagle feather. She lit the sage and fanned the smoke with the feather. When the smoke touched something that was flying, the object dropped to the floor. Kristin went to James first and covered him in smoke. He uncurled some and his sobs reduced to whimpers.
         Kristin turned her attention to the red glow pulling on Bethany. It was pulling Marissa and Bethany toward the basement. Kristin handed the sage and feather to Darrel.
         "Use this to get Tim and James out."
         Kristen went to Bethany and Marissa. She rubbed an oil from her bag on Marissa's arms. She then generously sprinkled the oil over Bethany and herself. She then blew a powdery substance over Bethany. Kristin wrapped her arms around Bethany's waist and called out in an ancient language. She pulled at Bethany and the three of them fell to the floor.
         Kristin got up and grabbed a throw off the couch, wrapping it around an unconscious Bethany. She handed the girl to her mother. She put her arm around Marissa's shoulders and guided her to the door. The doors opened for them and slammed shut behind them.
         "I don't know what we would have done without you," said Tim.
         "You would still be stuck inside," said Kristin.          
         "I called her," said Darrel.
         Marissa was sitting on the stoop holding her children. Kristin bent down to look at James. She fished a jar of salve out of her bag.
         "May I?"
         Marissa nodded numbly. When Kristin was finished, Marissa let go of the children long enough to hug Kristin.
         "I should have listened. All you were trying to do was help."
         "What do we do now?" asked Tim. "We have no place to go."
         "For now, you come to my house. We can all calm down and think more clearly."

         The Logans took their wagon and Darrel rode with Kristin to the house. The boys were there with their jeep.
         "What's going on?" asked Dean.
         "The manor decided to throw a tantrum," said Darrel.
         "It doesn't matter," said Kristin. "The Logans are going to stay here for now."
         Marissa went to a painting still in the living room. "Is this your Aunt?"
         "Yes. I have others in storage of our ancestors."
         Marissa picked up a picture from a shelf. "Who is this with you?"
         "That's my mother, Constance."
         "You look more like your aunt," said Marissa. She scanned the house and ceiling. "So peaceful. This is the first I've felt like this since coming to Carroll County."
         "This place feel right," said Tim. "Like we were meant to be here, not the manor."
         Kristin took them on a tour of the house. The study would work as an office and still have plenty of room for hobbies. Marissa loved Kristin's room that still looked perfect for a little girl. There was another room that would easily convert for James. Kristin's Aunt's room looked like a master bedroom.
         Kristin couldn't help herself. "this is the perfect place for a family."
         "This is your house, Kristin."
         "Where are you going to stay, Kristin?" asked Tim.
         "There's still a lounge chair in the study. I won't be there long. I must get back soon."
         "Back to where?" asked Marissa.
         "I have an apartment just outside of New York City. I have a job with a magazine and I'm finishing my education to become a therapist."




© Copyright 2023 Khola Mousethyme (UN: mousethyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Khola Mousethyme has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045395-Chapter-13