*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049387-Why-prompts-might-not-work-5-steps-to-make-them-work
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2289399
Here you'll get lots of tips, motivation and experience to finally write your novel
#1049387 added May 14, 2023 at 1:59am
Restrictions: None
Why prompts might not work (+5 steps to make them work)
You are sitting in front of a blinking cursor. The screen is white. Still.
On your mobile phone you keep scrolling. This prompt doesn't fit. The other one is boring. Maybe this one? No, it isn't.
No prompt really interests you. The clock is ticking while you still have no idea. Your motivation level drops.
After an hour, you've had enough. Even if you could find something appealing now - you don't feel like writing anymore.


I know this feeling. But you know what? There is a solution!

No, you don't have to walk backwards with a notebook under your arm until an idea comes to you. Just read this article and follow the tips.

WHY PROMPTS MIGHT NOT WORK

*drum roll* Because they don't contain any internal conflict!

A prompt usually only consists of external conflict - if any!

If you're now scratching your chin questioningly and letting your gaze wander thoughtfully, you should urgently read through my article on plotting. "How to create the perfect plot (6 steps + helpful links)
In it, I explain not only how to find an idea without a prompt, but also what internal conflict is.

HOW TO USE THEM RIGHT - 5 STEPS

But there is also a way to make a prompt shine in its full glory.

#1: Walk backwards through the city with a notebook under your arm.

Just joking 😉!

What you're supposed to do is pay attention. You can sit by the window, in the garden or on the balcony. If you want, you can use binoculars in more rural areas.

Write down words about people walking or driving by. Do they seem angry, rushed or relaxed? Are they dragging a child behind them?

Then write down special or strange things. Why does the gentleman pull an ancient watch out of his pocket? Why does the child wear sunglasses when it rains? Why is the teenage girl reading a book while walking? Why is the gentleman wearing a top hat? What is in the pensioner's briefcase and why is she carrying it around at all?

Your solution could now be something like: "A mysterious man is hurrying through the streets. His briefcase is full of ransom money."
Maybe the child in your imagination is blind or the teenager has fallen in love with a character from the book she is reading. Possibly the teenager spills his chocolate ice cream because all he can think about is his lover.

You see what I'm getting at: you make up your own prompt. One of those boring ones that just make you keep staring at the blinking cursor.
But you can make it work. Trust me. Just try the next step.

#2: Set a target for the people in your prompt.

You heard me right: think of a target or a desire.

Maybe the gentleman wants to deliver the ransom to save his daughter's life. Maybe the ice-cream spilling teenager wants to confess his love to his lover.

It's not as difficult as it sounds.

#3: Scare the people in your prompt.

Think up a fear. It should stop the character from achieving his goal.

The gentleman is afraid to deliver the ransom because his wife was killed when she did the same for him. He was in captivity for many years until the police freed him.
Possibly the teenager does not want to confess his love because he was betrayed by his former lover. Or because he hated her not long ago (this could be an enemies-to-lovers romance).

OTHER HELPFUL ARTICLES ON WRITING:
- "How to develop characters
- "3 ways to find and use inspiration — Bonus: 21 prompts
- "Writing Tours

#4: find a theme

What is the truth you want to scream from the rooftops? Answer this question and you'll have a theme for your story.

The job of a writer is important. We convey truths and thoughts through our story. Our characters and their journey makes readers think. That is what we want.

Your theme can be emotional manipulation. Or that love is above all else. Or that mistakes are okay and you can learn from them. You just have to burn for it!

#5: the misbelief of your character

You already have a character with a desire and a fear. What is still missing is the misbelief.

You get this by "turning around" your theme. Mistakes are okay and you can learn from them" becomes "Mistakes are bad". "Everyone needs friends" becomes "You can get along better without friends than with them". "Women are equal to men" becomes "women are not equal to men". I think you get my point.

To make the misbelief more believable, consider: what event made your character think the misbelief was true?

#6: Brainstorm!

Great, you have created a character with Desire, Fear and Misbelief, in short: a three-dimensional character!

Now you can carry out the further points in my article "How to create the perfect plot (6 steps + helpful links). You can create a brain dump document and brainstorm: how does the character overcome his fear and misbelief? How does he manage to reach his goal?

5 PROMPTS THAT WORK

Now we come to the inspiring part. You now know how to create your very own prompts that work. To help you get started, I will suggest some Desire-Fear constellations. Don't hesitate to use them!

Desire: to save someone
Fear: put yourself in danger

Desire: to find the murderer
Fear: to be murdered

Desire: meet a star
Fear: be rejected and spend the day with the stupid cousins
Additional idea: maybe the cousins aren't so bad?

Desire: save herself from poverty, therefore win a prize
Fear: being sabotaged by the competition and having to suffer for another year

Desire: fall in love
Fear: phobia of kisses


If you liked this article, don't forget to like it.
If you fan me, you will be informed about blog articles. You will also get a digital template - e.g. with the index card outline method.

Write on,
Evie

© Copyright 2023 Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog (UN: idaschreibt357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049387-Why-prompts-might-not-work-5-steps-to-make-them-work