*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/134987-Late-for-the-Launch
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#134987 added November 25, 2001 at 8:32pm
Restrictions: None
Late for the Launch

I signed up for a ride in a space capsule; it cost me $800. It’s a three-man capsule, to be launched from a rocket base out in the Mojave. My wife and son ride out there with me to watch. If all goes as planned, the capsule will go up into orbit, then land in the lot next to the launch pad about 2 ½ hours later.

I arrive early, and climb the tower next to the rocket. A man working there lowers me into the capsule on a sling attached to a steel cable. I wait in the capsule for a while, but nothing is happening. I decide to get back out. The launch area is deserted. I look at my watch, I still have a lot of time.

I walk out to the visitor’s center, find Viv and Nick. We walk around for a while, looking at the sights. I look at my watch: it’s ten minutes to launch. I walk back out towards the tower, but the entrance is blocked. A worker tells me I’m too late; the countdown is already started. I argue that I was there earlier, but it’s no use.

Dejected, I walk back to the visitor’s center and buy a tin of small cigars from the gift shop for eighty cents. I walk outside to watch the launch and have a smoke. Viv and Nick decide to stay in and watch through the glass. It’s a beautiful clear day, not too hot this time of year. I can see the mountains in the distance; they must be at least fifty miles away. I light a cigar. I haven’t smoked in a while, even in dreamland, and the nicotine buzz feels good. The launch goes off as planned. I decide to take a walk around the grounds, lots of time to kill before the capsule returns.

© Copyright 2001 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/134987-Late-for-the-Launch