*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/178986-Going-North
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#178986 added July 12, 2002 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
Going North
We've been living in central Canada, just west of the bay, for a while now. We thought it'd stay cool enough up here for the rest of our lives, but the heat just keeps spreading north. They're already building underground here, so I guess it won't be too bad, but I'd rather stay above ground if we could. That's why we're looking into moving north again.

I guess we're lucky we can even think about affording the move, most folks can't. I just lucked out on a few things. Some of those stocks I picked up and held onto after the Dotcom crash back at the turn of the century finally came back and paid off.

Then that land I bought in central California with the profits, well… You remember back when the redwoods started burning up, back in the summer of 2020? I got lucky, and my land didn't burn. Then the government wanted to preserve some of what was left of the forest, they finally decided they'd done enough studying about global warming and it was time to act. They built one of the first eco-domes over my trees. (After I sold the land to 'em for a tidy profit, I don't mind saying.) Yeah, I had a pretty good bankroll back when I retired, and I've managed to hold onto most of it since.

I never liked the idea of going underground. I know the sun's a real killer these days, and they got whole cities and farms and everything down there now, but I just don't think it's natural.

We've got friends who moved further north a while back, to a town on the coast of one of those little islands above of the Circle. Yeah, I know, there's no sun up there all winter. But they say the summers are beautiful, it doesn't get much above mid eighties. Nice climate to plant a little garden. And once in a while in the winter they still even get a little snow!

They say places above the Circle should stay cool enough to live above ground for maybe another thirty years. I guess that should be good enough for us, I don't plan on living much past a hundred.

© Copyright 2002 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/178986-Going-North