*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/194970-NOTICE-Web-Server-Migration
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing.Com · #206127
Announcements pertaining to Writing.Com!
#194970 added September 25, 2002 at 10:23pm
Restrictions: None
[NOTICE] Web Server Migration!
Greeting Members!

Here comes one more server Upgrade for Stories.Com! Tonight, at 11pm EST we will bring online a new Stories.Com web server. During the "recent" time (1 minute to about 12 hours) after the new server is brought online, you will at some point switch from the old server to the new server.

In theory this upgrade should be seemless for your computer if you have your browser setup to accept cookies (most are!). If you do not accept cookies, when you computer picks up the change in server you will simply be logged out and will have to log back in...

Regardless of your computer setup, PLEASE BE CAREFUL when creating anything new during this time period!

For the fun of it, I have added a small "new" to the bottom of all pages served from our NEW web server and a small "old" to the bottom all pages sent from the old server. Once your pages switch from "old" to "new", you know you should be done.


More Information:
Why this and so many hosting hardware upgrades recently? Simple; The growth of Stories.Com has been stupendous. I'm one who believes in staying a bit ahead of the growth curve; that might cost a little more, but in the long run it leads to a more stable atmosphere providing fast and reliable service to our members.

And we've said, shown and proven many times already that Stories.Com is here for the LONG run.

Yesterday (9/24) Stories.Com set a new record number of people logged in at one time: 381 This was quite the jump from the previous record of 369 set on 9/9/02 - but shows incredible growth from when we first hit 300 members at a time on 4/9/02.

So, tonight we're bringing online a brand new web server, hot off the presses from Dell. It's a QUAD (4) Processor Intel 2.4 Ghz Xeon with 4 Gigabytes of RAM; it has hard drive space totaling more than 70 Gigabytes. (For anyone curious to see the $14,000+ price tag on this type of hardware, you can look on http://www.dell.com/ - but this machine is so "hauss", it was a special order. You can come close using their high end, business server custom system configuration tool.) *Smile*

Combined with Stories.Com's other two main servers, the three servers have a combined 10 Gigabytes of RAM and over 400 Gigabytes of hard drive storage. Each server has redundant hard drives; this means that if one fails, others within it have copies of the data. In addition each server collects backup data from each of the other servers - so if one machine failed completely, the two other machines would have copies of the data. This is all in addition to our nightly/weekly tape backups.

(-- Please note that member email is *not* part of the multi-machine backup or tape backup system because of the huge amount of email that Stories.Com handles. All other data, such as items, posts, entries, ratings, reviews, etc, etc is on the multi-machine and tape backup systems.)

An Extra Special THANKS to the incredible team of professionals at our web host, INetU Inc. (http://www.inetu.net/) for providing us amazing turn around time with this new machine and for all of their support in getting it up and running so quickly!

We appreciate your patience and support as we work to improve and maintain the quality of your online communtiy.

Thank you,
~~The StoryMaster


The Storymaster Sig II.
FORUM
Technical Support Forum  (13+)
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
#303715 by Writing.Com Support


© Copyright 2002 Writing.Com Support (UN: support at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com Support has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/194970-NOTICE-Web-Server-Migration