*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/209599-Various-Religions
Rated: ASR · Book · Spiritual · #135312
Who are we? Where are we going? Should we even care?
#209599 added November 28, 2002 at 11:51pm
Restrictions: None
Various Religions
I was thinking tonight as I listened to an Isreali at the next table was telling his friend about life in Isreal. I was, naturally, dining alone... but I do my best thinking in a nice comfortable restaurant with a full belly, a cold beer, and a beautiful waitress waiting on me, but that's beside the point. I was thinking about how many of the major religions in the world are connected to a root belief.

After all, Muslim and Christianity are off-shoots of Judaism. Muslims have the Prophet Mohommad (Peace be upon him) to guide them spiritually, but as far as I know, they still wait for the Savior. Christians were basically Jews who beleived that Jesus was the Savior they'd been waiting for. Muslims view Jesus as an important Prophet. And Jews still wait for the Savior.

As for Sikhism and Buddhism, they both are rooted in Hindu beliefs.

All I can say is, Jews, Muslims, and Christians all worship the same God, essentially. It really is a shame that so few can see the common ground between them. I don't think many of them ever will. Of course, I don't know anything... this is just my view from where I sit.

Again, sometimes tradition can become too much. It becomes a way of life and a way of thinking. So when someone wants to take that away, a reation is provocted. Somewhere along the line, pleasing God became confused with playing God. Suddenly, Jihads and Fatwas and martyrdom, and Crusades and Inquisitions and witch hunts, all became valid ways to commit murder in the name of God. Jews, Muslims, and Christians all have words for circumstances that allow for the use of deadly force. Hell, one disagreement over theology caused a Jihad which incited a Crusade which created martyrs on both sides and so on it goes.

"I can't imagine a God who would care."
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."
Bishop, Aliens
Please read my journal "Late Night Philosophy
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2002 SyntheticGod (UN: synthetic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SyntheticGod has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/209599-Various-Religions