*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234430-Writing-Numbers
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #554627
Encounters with the Writing Process
#234430 added March 28, 2003 at 4:55pm
Restrictions: None
Writing Numbers
         Writing numbers can be a problem. At times, numbers that can be indicated by one or two taps on the keyboard are spelled out; at times, figures are used instead. So confusing, isn’t it?

         The rule of the thumb is clarity. As a result of my antiquated learning (I was told to spell it out when in doubt), I use mostly letters to write numbers but this is not etched in stone. At least not anymore. Now numerals (number figures) are accepted if they can keep the writing clear. Even so, there are rules to observe.

         For the sake of precision, let’s look at the expression of numbers whether they are in letters or numerals.

         Writing Date and time:
         All the examples below are correct.

         They stopped by at 10:00 A.M.
         They stopped by at 10:00 a.m.
         They stopped by at eight o’clock in the morning.
         Today’s date is March 28, 2003.
         Today is 28 March, 2003.
         We are in A.D. 2003.
         We are in March, 2003.
         We are in 2003.
         We are in the twenty-first century.
         World War II took place during the forties.
         World War II took place during the 1940’s.
         World War II took place during the 1940s.



         If a sentence begins with a number, write it in letters.
         Ninety percent of the class failed.
         Only 15% of the merchandise was sold.


         When writing in letters, hyphenate numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine.
         Do not hyphenate when writing hundreds.

         On Wednesday, two hundred fifty-two students were absent.

         Write these always in numerals:
         Addresses 1841 Orchard Lane,
         Numbers that identify Suite 101,
         Decimals and percentages 3.8 grade average, 25 1/3 percent, .09 milimeters,
         Page and division of magazines, books and plays page 341, Act III, Scene 2, chapter 12

         Numbers one through ten should be written in letters; we may use numerals for numbers greater than ten. If there are several numbers in a sentence with some of them over ten, write them all in letters.
         The Johnsons had five children.
         The zoo hosted 250 different animals.
         June has seven dolls and two hundred fifty pieces of lego blocks.


         Never mix numerals and letters when using several numbers in a sentence, if the numbers are related.
         The man gave me three glasses, 9 spoons, five plates.
         The man gave me three glasses, nine spoons, five plates.
         Only when the numbers are unrelated, both numerals and letters can be used.
         Immediately after the chairman’s announcement, eight people rushed to get their $100 Christmas bonus.

          Large numbers are written the simplest way possible.
         There were 15 million workers earning anywhere from $15,000 to $35,000.
         They demanded 4 billion dollars.


         When writing large numbers of five or more digits plus a decimal, use a comma to separate each three sets of numerals and then use the decimal point. Do not use the word ‘and’ instead of the decimal point, if you are using numerals. Both examples below are correct, but the first example is preferable for its simplicity.
         We bought our house for $227,098.58.
We bought our house for two hundred twenty-seven thousand, ninety-eight dollars and fifty-eight cents.


         Write simple fractions in letters, using hyphens, but a mixed fraction can be written in figures.
          In summer, one-third of the house was burned down.
         I saw that one-half of the Black Forest cake was missing.
         The unemployment rate rose to 6 ½ percent.


          Write decimals in figures, putting a zero in front of the decimal point, unless when the decimal itself starts with a zero.
         Bluegrass will cover 0.85 of an acre.
The low bushes on the right side will take .09 of the garden.



Today’s tip:
Beside means ‘by the side of’.
Besides means ‘moreover’, ‘in addition’, or ‘plus’.



** Image ID #467084 Unavailable **
I now rate according to the SMS's guidelines.
--------------------------

Joy ** Image ID #460955 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #467080 Unavailable **










© Copyright 2003 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234430-Writing-Numbers