*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/283881-Church-of-the-Perpetual-Brunch
by Archie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #758164
This is a catch all area for thoughts and things.
#283881 added March 28, 2004 at 11:36am
Restrictions: None
Church of the Perpetual Brunch
Years ago, a group of our friends, my wife, and I started a "Church of the Perpetual Brunch." It was satiric in nature, but we did manage to feed our spirits as well as our stomachs. We started out by meeting one Sunday a month in one of our homes, the host being responsible for preparing and serving brunch to the rest of us. All too soon, we had too many participants to do that easily, or cheaply, so we started going out to different brunch places around the area. Discussion varied from religion, to politics, to family matters to just about anything else under the sun.

We did have our sayings: "May the fork be with you," was one. As their "spiritual" leader, I was known as "His Gluttonous." Tithing was a combination of paying our individual brunch tabs, as well as leaving a generous tip to the server who had to put up with our sometimes loud and often rowdy celebratory brunch bunch. We also had our own "relic," which was an old waffle from one of our earlier meetings when we still met in our respective homes. It was squashed (or squished?) and forced into a cheap frame someone picked up at a yard sale after one of our brunch meetings.

In all, it was fun, and we did manage to celebrate life and to celebrate each other and to celebrate our friendships, which, in my opinion, are some of the things any church should do.

We have all since scattered, and the chemistry among our newer friends has gone in different directions, but, who knows, some day, somewhere, somehow, we will resurrect the "Church of the Perpetual Brunch."



Archie R. Whitehill
Mercenary Writer
Have Words Will Write

*Star*

© Copyright 2004 Archie (UN: archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Archie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/283881-Church-of-the-Perpetual-Brunch