*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/320172-Church-of-the-Absolutely-Faithless---
by Archie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #758164
This is a catch all area for thoughts and things.
#320172 added December 31, 2004 at 8:58am
Restrictions: None
Church of the Absolutely Faithless . . .
Church is a positive influence on many people's lives. Yet, sometimes, people go to church merely because of peer pressure; it's a societal thing. How about a church for the faithless, a place they could go on Sundays and religious holidays to lighten the load of peer pressure without actually having to listen to religious drivel?

The church would look like a church from the outside and have some really spiritual sounding name, say, "Church of the Prodigal Sons (and Daughters)" or, "Lost Lambs Liberal Lutheran for Lax Lutherans" or, better yet, "Church of the Wayward Flock."

Each Sunday there would be parties, coffees, dances, brunches, discussion groups, picnics, or whatever else appealed to the congregation as a whole. There could even be splinter groups, with some opting for brunch, while others attended discussion groups on their favorite books or TV shows. The basement, depending on the size of the church, could hold anything from card tables, to pool tables to a small bowling alley, perhaps even a gym could be built adjacent to the church. So many real churches these days have gyms, so it would not appear to be out of place.

There would be no tithing, but there would be an annual membership fee to pay for the services each week. Food and drink could be sold, perhaps the church could even get a restaurant license, or whatever license a private club gets.

Such a church would be, indeed, a sanctuary in the truest sense, a sanctuary from the nonesense of organized religion.


Archie R. Whitehill
Mercenary Writer
Have Words Will Write

*Star*

© Copyright 2004 Archie (UN: archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Archie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/320172-Church-of-the-Absolutely-Faithless---