*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/320419
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Relationship · #910017
Finishing Touches and Final Strokes in one edition.
#320419 added April 4, 2005 at 9:14am
Restrictions: None
chapter 3
The drive to Peoria had her nerves on fire by the time they arrived. Why anyone would get married the end of January was beyond her. The snow had been packed along the edges of the roads when they had started out. Then the flurries began, turning into huge flakes that made vision nearly impossible. Trevor didn’t seem bothered. He slowed to the speed of the rest of traffic and just coasted along the interstate. It took nearly twice the time it should have to get there. The kids started fussing after the first two hours. She kept them as calm as possible, trying not to let them add to Trevor’s aggravation, even if he didn’t seem aggravated. Anna finally fell asleep and a handful of fruit snacks distracted Aaron. He settled for looking at books afterwards, without his little sister annoying him.

Just over five hours from the beginning of the journey, Trevor pulled into Alan’s driveway. Jenna wasn’t about to stay with her parents, but Alan and Cheryl had been more than willing to have them for the weekend. She escorted her son to the door, trying to keep him out of the snow drifts alongside the driveway, while Trevor carried their sleepy daughter.

“Jenna! Trevor! Oh, look how those babies have grown!” Cheryl escorted them in, telling them not to worry about the snow going in with them. “We were getting worried. We thought you were leaving early this morning.”

Jenna looked over and greeted Alan when he came to help them unload children from their arms. Anna went right to him. “We did. The roads are awful. It took forever.” And she was exhausted.

Trevor went back out to get their bags, refusing Alan’s help since it was such a hassle to get dressed enough for even stepping outside. They hadn’t brought much. Most of it was the kids’ stuff. She waited at the door for him, with Alan, while Cheryl urged Aaron and Anna inside to find her kids.

“You look like you could use a glass of wine.”

She grinned at her friend. “At least one. I didn’t want to come, you know.”

“I’m surprised you did.”

Jenna shrugged. “Trevor thought we should. I don’t know. I just see disaster striking.”

“I imagine he’s right. I’m glad you’re doing this.” He set a hand on her back. “It’ll be more fun for us with you guys there, too. I was grimacing about going until Cheryl said you were coming.”

“I guess misery loves company, right? But are you ready for any comments they might make?”

“About their old plans for us?”

Jenna nodded.

“All parents make plans for their children. No one expects it means anything. Laugh it off like it doesn’t matter.” He opened the door wider again and grabbed a couple of bags from Trevor. Jenna grabbed another that was trying to slide off his arm.

“Just drop those here, Trevor. We’ll get them later.” Alan waited to take his coat, then escorted them both into the main room.

Jenna loved Alan’s home. Cheryl had a real flair for making things elegant but still comfortable, with charming touches Jenna would never think of doing. The woman would have made an excellent interior designer and Jenna wouldn’t mind hiring her to do her apartment.

The twins, now seven, kept Anna entertained. They pulled out one thing after the next for her to play with and kept her from getting into anything she shouldn’t have. Cheryl had a two-year-old niece she took care of fairly often so the twins had learned how to help. Aaron affixed himself to Justin, as he always had. The eight-year-old still adored the boy and Cheryl mentioned how he talked about Aaron to his friends. Both quiet, with shy tendencies, Justin and Aaron had understood each other from the beginning. And Jenna still grinned whenever she looked at Alan’s son. She enjoyed watching him grow, as often as she could.

The kids went to bed early. Even with their naps in the car, they’d had long days, and Jenna didn’t want them tired the next day, when they would hopefully be on their best behavior in the midst of the swarms of people. Sitting on the couch next to her boyfriend, Jenna kicked her legs up beside her, leaning in against him. Alan brought them both a glass of wine, then went to get two more for Cheryl and himself.

“We’re so glad you’re all here.” Cheryl looked at her husband. “Alan was having an awful time trying to make himself go to this thing until you called us.”

Trevor squeezed Jenna’s arm. “It was a good excuse to come visit.”

“Oh, you don’t need an excuse, you know! Come any time. We don’t see you nearly often enough.”

Jenna watched her friend through the conversation. It was strange, sitting in his living room, with her boyfriend and his wife, talking as though they’d all been friends for years. Well, she supposed they had been. Alan and Cheryl had accepted Trevor as their friend as soon as he moved in with Jenna. They treated him as if he were her husband, not just a boyfriend. And Trevor warmed to Alan in time. It had taken him a while, considering how much he knew Alan had upset her, and why he had upset her so. Jenna never told Alan that her boyfriend knew everything. She figured it would just make him uncomfortable around Trevor and she didn’t want that.

They stayed up talking, and sipping wine, late into the night and Jenna vaguely remembered in the morning that Trevor had had to half carry her to bed.



She woke with a headache. Not from the wine. She hadn’t had that much. She was just too tired, and incredibly stressed about the day ahead.

Sitting up, she pushed both hands against the sides of her head.

“Jen?” Trevor sat next to her, leaning down to see her face.

“Ask Alan if he has something for a major headache.”

“Lie down. I’ll get something.” He helped her lean back into the pillow, returning with Cheryl.

“Here, Sweetie. Alan takes these for his work headaches. He said you should try it.”

She didn’t bother to ask what they were, accepting the pills and a glass of water from Cheryl. “Thank you. I think I stayed up too late.”

“Alan said it’s probably the stress. That’s why he sent those instead of what I take. Just lie down until you feel better.”

“I have to get the kids ready.”

Trevor rubbed her hair. “I have them. Just relax, Jen. You can’t go like that.”

She gave in, closing her eyes. Maybe she wouldn’t go. It wouldn’t be a lie to say she wasn’t feeling well. Her head throbbed on one side, moving into her eyes. Her stomach was queasy. She hadn’t felt this bad since just after losing Daniel. The day of the funeral. This wasn’t that bad. It was just a family party, not a big deal. But she smelled disaster approaching.


© Copyright 2005 Voxxylady (UN: voxxylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Voxxylady has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/320419