*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325281-Culture
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #928100
writing marathan
#325281 added January 29, 2005 at 10:45pm
Restrictions: None
Culture
Patrick opened the front door to the Morgan household to see the smile of Drake Green turn into a little confused frown. His brow wrinkled. “Patrick? What are you doing here?

“Relax. I’m a long friend of the family’s. There was an emergency last night and Mrs. Morgan asked me to stay and…” he paused, looking Drake over he said. “Whoa don’t you look fantastic.” Now, Patrick was the one smiling.

“Shut up.” Drake said quickly. “Well, aren’t you gonna invite me in?”

“Sure, C’mon. The girls are still asleep. We were up late last night.” Patrick didn’t offer any explanation.

Katie and I were supposed to go to church. But I guess I’ll have to go without her.”

“Yeah. I got up for something to eat at four and I heard them talking.” Patrick eyed Drake again. His smile widened, revealing his adorable dimples. The dimples that mom’s and girls loved. “Drake.” He said only because he liked the sound of the name. “What are you doing with Katie anyway? “

“She’s cute.” He said. “Not as cute as you. Plus, mom really likes her.”

“Your mother likes me.”

“Yeah right, whatever. She does, but you know.”

Patrick knew all too well. His whole life would be ruined. His father would disown him. He’d be out on the streets faster than a faster than a five year old opens presents on Christmas morning. He’d probably get kicked out of school too. Forced into poverty, he’d roam the back
ways and alleys making his way to a large town. Begging for food and lodging. He shook his head. What was he doing?

“I hate the way society is man.” They’d had this conversation many times. People were unwilling or afraid, or both to accept their type of relationship. Heck neither one of them were very good at audibaly admitting it either. Even though they knew deep down in their hearts what and who they were.

It was funny how society always thought the gay culture was infiltrating the hearts and minds of young ones, with Sponge Bob being the latest.

Patrick had ties to Hinesville. There was Drake, and Katie and Juliana. The girls were his best friends. He and Drake had been together for two summers now, this being their third. But he wished he could pick up their lives and conveniently move them to Atlanta, where he went to school. Even though it was the south, there was more openness tin the city than in some little bitty town on the upper east coast.

“Why didn’t you come to the fire last night?

“Well, you know, it’s new with me and Katie, and I didn’t want to seem too desperate. I wanted to come, believe me.”

“Next week.”

“Next week.”

From under the table Drake reached for Patrick’s thigh and gave it a quick squeeze. They both looked around, making sure no one else was around. Patrick’s heart leapt. “Don’t tease me. Especially before you go to church. You’ll feel guilty if I drag you into the laundry room and stick my tongue down your throat. While you sittin’ there prayin’, you’ll be thinking of me, and my groping hands.”

Drake withdrew his hand. “You’re right: Looking Patrick in the eyes he said seriously. “I want you to come to church with me.”

“Not the church going type. But I’ll think about it.”


“No you won’t. You’re just saying that to shut me up.”

“Tell you what. If I go to church with you, you have to find a way to Atlanta with me when I’m at school. We’d have so much fun hitting the streets at Little Five Points. Drake had heard all about Little Five Points before. It seemed like a Hollywood dream. No one in Hinesville was so open. So accepting of anything out of the norm. What a conservative culture they lived in.

Patrick jumped up when he heard movement from the back of the house. He opened the refrigerator and grabbed the milk and drank straight from the cartoon. “Put that down.” Katie said. “Oh My Goodness!” She covered her cheeks with the palms of her hands. “I completely forgot.”

“Drake got up and walked over to her. He moved strands of hair away from her eyes. “It’s okay. Patrick was keeping me company while you slept. He told me you hand an emergency last night.”

“Yeah. Uncle Mike. He’s in the hospital. Where’s mom? She asked, turning towards Patrick.

“She never came home. She must have spent the entire night there.”

“I can skip church. If you need me to do anything.” Drake offered.

“I got it.” Patrick said.

Drake left his cell anyway. Katie was to call him with an update. If she felt like it, they could all drop by the park. Lots of the guys picked up an impromptu baseball game.

The boys waddled on down the hall with sleepy feet, still tired form their big night out. Scottie started crying when they discovered the Apple Cinnamon cheerios were gone. Patrick saved the morning when he volunteered to make eggs for everybody.

Katie was out of her seat before the phone finished its first ring.

“Hell.”

“Hey baby.”

“How is he?” She asked, and then realizing the boys were within earshot she whispered. “Is everything okay?”

“Yes. He came around at three. I wanted to come home, but I fell asleep in his room. How are the boys?”

“Fine. Patrick’s is making them scrambled eggs.”

“I’m on my way. I hate to ask you, but could you watch the boys again today? I’ve really got to get some rest.”

“Sure mom.” We might take them to the park. Drake Green’s playing ball there later today.”

Sue smiled. She liked Drake. He seemed so responsible. Hey listen, think about when you’d like to go to western Style. I think the boys would really love to go. I could talk to Coyote about it?”

“Sure mom. I will. When do you want to go?”

Sue sighed deeply, “I’m not sure I can. Or maybe a one-day visit. It all depends on how fast your uncle recovers.”
© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325281-Culture