*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325899-Nature
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #928100
writing marathan
#325899 added February 1, 2005 at 8:07pm
Restrictions: None
Nature
Juliana’s hands shook with nervousness as she applied lip liner along the corners of her mouth.

“I feel stupid. What if he doesn’t like me? She said to Katie.

“What’s not to like? Besides, Drake and I will be there. We like you.” Katie always knew what to say

Leslie peeked her head around the bedroom. “I se a car coming down the driveway,

“/what kind of car?” asked Juliana

“A red one. Don’t ask me the make and model cuz I’m not your father.” Leslie smiled. More at the sight of the two best friends, than her remark.

“I still love you mom. Even if you don’t know a mustang from a corvette.” Juliana kissed her mother and the girls dashed downstairs.

“What happened to making him come to the door?” But her words fell on deaf ears. She plopped down on he daughter’s bed. Leslie’s fingers reached out and slowly picked up Alfie. A smile spread across her face as the Alf doll brought back nostalgic memories of Juliana as a little girl. Oh how she had changed. Talk about doing a one eighty.

During childhood, Juliana was a tomboy who loved nature, bugs, snakes, spiders, camping out in the back yard with her dad, cars, and fixing broken objects. Many of her weekends spent with John, her father. During the day, he’d let her pretend to fix on his junk car. At night, they’d pitch a tent in the back yard, roasting marshmallows over an open fire. Those days are gone. Leslie remembered when it happened. When her twelve-year-old tomboy turned her back on Mother Nature and cautiously stepped into teenager hood.

She quietly closed the door on small grass snakes, fuzzy caterpillars, monarch butterflies, and pastel looking sunsets. With deliberate care, she latched the door, turned around and to this day, she has never looked back. Leaving her old world, her wobbly legs walked into a new one; a world filled with eyeliner and lip-gloss. Of Old Navy hoodies and Abercrombie and Fiche tees. Of boys whose names would change weekly. At present, she was till distracted with everything teen.

A memory popped into Leslie’s head. She and her sister, Christina peered out the living room window to watch then nine-year-old Juliana enjoying her summer day. She seemed so content outside all by herself, running around chasing butterflies, long brown stringy hair blowing in the wind. They had remarked how different Jay was to them when they were kids, always surrounded by a circle of friends, or at least one other playmate. But not Juliana. She was a loner. Leslie and Christina had gotten lost in conversation before they stopped to notice Juliana laying flat on her belly in the grass.

“What on Earth?? Christian remarked with a wrinkled brow.

Triumphantly, she rose from the grass holding something in between her fingers. Her arm pointed high in the air. She ran quickly to the variegated lantana – an excellent bush for attracting butterflies – and tossed the contents of her hand onto the bush. She backed away from the plant and glanced in my direction. A huge smile on her face, she came running toward the front door where both Leslie and Christina met her.

“I fed the Chinese writing spider a grasshopper I caught.” She said breathlessly, quite proud of her accomplishment.

All three of the girls ran outside to have a look. Sure enough, there was a huge Chinese writing spider in the bush; it had spun its web around the meal Juliana had just fed it.

Turning away from her tomboy self wasn’t gradual, but happened within a mater of months. But the straw breaking the camel’s back occurred over a four-day weekend trip out of town. Leslie witnessed the process, her heart aching as she watched her little girl struggle with the change.

Juliana loved animals, especially birds and insects, but insects aren’t animals. Leslie and Juliana were scheduled to attend a Beta Club Conference in New York City. Juliana and five other kids were chosen to attend. Leslie was asked to chaperone the group. A free trip to NYC? Times Square, Grand Central Station, The Statue of Liberty. Who wouldn’t go?

Lots of excitement surrounded the last minute preparations. Phone calls to the other kids houses followed by long discussions of what to wear. A shopping trip to buy a few pretty outfits. Leslie even bought and showed Juliana how to apply on a little bit of make-up. The other girls attending were well practiced in everything girl. Juliana was awkward but eager to learn and please. Leslie forgot how cruel tweenagers can be. While she plastered makeup as only a twelve-year old can do, she also was purely fascinated in the pigeons. To her, they were creatures of God, Beautiful two legged winged feathered hearts with smart brains and she enjoyed feeding them all the time. She collected bread crumbs from her plate during each meal, stored them in her pockets and called to her feathered friends every time she stepped outside. Unfortunately, the group held a different opinion of pigeons, deeming them filthy ugly and otherwise a nuisance. They quickly tired of Juliana’s feeds. She desperately tried to explain herself but was laughed at, made fun of. Sadness crept into her heart. She began to sit away from her new friends, secretly feeding the birds. That marked the beginning of the of Mother Nature.

Embracing her feminine side meant Leslie was now able to be a part of her life. She felt left out when John took her camping. Now mother and daughter watched chick flicks together, talked about how boys were stupid. Saturdays were now a time to go shopping for clothes and make-up and of course, grab a bite to eat. To be completely honest, even if she had been left out of the camping / auto repair thing, she was always proud of Juliana’s love for nature. Would there every come a day when she remembered how to love those creepy crawly creatures?
© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325899-Nature