*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326241-Chapter-Twelve
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
#326241 added February 3, 2005 at 4:28pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Twelve
CHAPTER TWELVE

I listen as Alfred storms down the hallway. “Testing a girl for magical ability is insane. It’s a good thing my workshop is protected I would hate to be the laughing stock of the other wizards.”

“Yes great wizard, yes great wizard,” Impi follows him down the hallway.

I daydream in the chair for a while, eating some pastries and drinking tea. When I finish I sit up, “Queen Danika, may I ask you a question?”

“Yes, what is it?” she looks at me.

“I was wondering is Alfred right? Can only boys do magic?” For some reason it really upset me that just because I was a girl Alfred didn’t think I could do magic.

“Alfred is an old fool, do not tell him I said that. He is a good friend to the Elves but in this case he is wrong. Human woman can do magic, is he stopped and thought about it he would realize that most healers are woman and healing is magic. He believes that men are better than women. Do not worry about Alfred; I will take care of him. Run along now and go see my grandson.”

I stand up and give Queen Danika small bow and Hulda a big hug. “Thank you.” With that I run out of the room and down the hallway.

“Please take me to Lord Elysia’s room,” I request. As I near towards the end of the hallway I see two Elves dressed in navy blue and silver. They appear to be guarding the door; their swords on their sides and the quiver full of arrows kind of gave it away. But I’m running too fast and come to screeching halt only inches away from the drawn swords.

“Excuse me,” I gulp, “may I please see Lord Elysia.”

One of the guards puts his sword away and bows slightly. “I will let Lord Elysia know you are here.” He opens the door just wide enough for him to slip through. The other guard moves to cover the door.

We stand there looking at each other for what seems to be an eternity. I hop from foot to foot while the guard stands there perfectly still. Finally the other guard comes back out. “My lady, Lord Elysia will see you now.” He opens the door for
me to enter.

I look around the room and let out a low whistle, my room is plain and simple but this room was totally awesome. The whole room is done in navy blue and silver. Navy blue, velvet drapes are pushed back from a huge window that is letting bright yellow sunshine spill into the room. I run my hand over the bed cover it is soft and silky and hangs so nicely over the side of the bed. Looking very regal in navy blue pajamas is Eli; a sea of pillows surrounds him.

“How are you doing?” I ask as I plop down on the bed and slide right off the edge. “This bed is great.” I bounce up and down.

“Theo, stop that!” Eli grips his rib cage and his face is scrunched in pain.

I stop bouncing, “Oh no, did I hurt you?”

Eli winces, “I am still a little sore.”

“When can you get up?” I ask bouncing on the bed again.

“Theo!” groans Eli.

“Sorry, I forgot,” I apologize.

“Grandmother says I should rest but other than that I will be fine,” continues Eli.

“Your grandmother is unlike any lady I know.” I walk and look out the window.

“She is quite the lady,” agrees Eli.

“I’ll say,” I snort, “I don’t think anyone has ever spoken to Alfred threw way your Grandmother does. Well, except maybe Hulda. She’s making him give me some test, Hulda is insisting on it too but he doesn’t want to.”

“That is my Grandmother,” Eli slaps the bed cover. “She always gets what she wants. If she wants you tested for magical ability, you will be tested. You know if it is found that you have magical ability Alfred will have to take you as an apprentice.”

I feel a chill and hug myself. “I don’t want magic,” I whisper. “Look how I hurt you.”

“Theo, come here,” Eli pats the bed next to him. “The only reason your magic went crazy is because you have not had the proper training. As an apprentice you learn how to do magic properly which is safe.”

I sit down in a chair by the bed and curl my legs up under me. “What if I don’t want to do magic?”

“Let me see, being an apprentice or digging in the garbage which is worse?” Eli looks at me.

“How did you know about that?” I demand.

“Grandmother had Alfred tell her the whole story last night and when she came to check on me this morning she told me.” Eli stretches carefully.

“You mean Queen Danika knows about my digging in the garbage and she sill had tea with me?” That made me like her even more.

“Queen Danika, my grandmother, thinks you have the ability to be a great wizard. She is determined to see that you get that chance.” Eli informs me.

“But Alfred doesn’t like me for I’m a girl.” I interrupt.

“That will not matter once the test is administered and it proves that you have magical ability.” Eli arranges some pillows behind him and sits up straighter.

“What’s the big deal about an apprentice? Why is your grandmother pushing so hard?” I question Eli.

“It gives you certain rights. You are under your master’s protection; you get two sets of clothes a year. You are given food and shelter, is that not better than what you have?” Eli raises his eyebrow.

I laugh at how ridiculous he looks. “Alfred wants a proper apprentice from some school so why would he take me as an apprentice?”

“He has to follow the rules and laws of magic. Because of him you have experienced magic, in a sense he has awaken the magical ability within you. That makes him responsible for your magical training.” He sounds like one of the wise old men in the market place.

“He doesn’t like me,” I mutter.

Eli snaps his fingers to get my attention. “He is full of hot air, he does not want someone from the School of Wizards. He just says that so Hulda does not make him get an apprentice. All he wants to do is work on his spells, he does not want to train someone.”

I take some deep breaths, “Do you think I can do this?”

“No question about it,” Eli shakes his head. “I know you can do it, you need to believe that you can do it. Get out of here so I can get dressed, I have a testing to witness.”

“I’m going, I’m going,” I imitate Impi as I close the door.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326241-Chapter-Twelve