*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326247-Chapter-Seventeen
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
#326247 added February 3, 2005 at 4:36pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Seventeen

This is real magic being done. I keep waiting for flashing lights, lots of hand waving, shouting of magical words, not sitting and waiting for something to happen. I watch Alfred very carefully and take note of everything he is doing; this is what I want to learn.

“I told you so.” Speaks up Alfred after a few minutes. “I didn’t turn you into a mule. Every spell I know I’ve tried and it won’t reverse the spell.”

“How can you say that, look at me,” cries Hulda. “You did something to me, I’m no wizards but I know that people just don’t turn into mules for no reason. Theo is right, when I interrupted your spell and you called me a stubborn old mule your spell did what you told it to, it made me a mule.”

“Did not!” Argues Alfred. I drew the circle myself, there is no way that spell escaped the circle!”

“Oh admit it, the great wizard made a mistake.” Hulda the mule butts Alfred in the leg.

“I did not make a mistake!” declares Alfred. He gathers his robe around him and put his noise in the air. “Where is the letter?”

The mule turns around and around. “How do I know where it went?”

“What did it say?” Alfred taps his foot as he looks at Hulda.

“How should I know. You’re the one who has said time and time again the Wizard Council business is no business for a woman. Plus I’m not going to fool with magic letters.” Hulda sits on her back legs.

As if that has ever stopped you from meddling before.” Alfred crosses his arms and looks down at the mule.

“Excuse me, great wizard, you’re the one who is always bragging about how secret the information is. I did like you told me and brought it straight to you. It’s not my fault if you lost it.” Hulda lies down.

“He lost it, He lost it,” shrieks Impi flying in the open door.

Alfred swats at Impi “I did not lose it, I never had it.”

“Excuse me” I interrupt

“Stay out of it!” they both yell at me.

“Don’t interrupt, don’t interrupt, “ Impi squawks as she comes and sits on my shoulder.

I reach up and pet Impi. “I only wanted to know what is a wizard council and why is the letter so important.”

Hulda brings her front legs up under her and then her back legs, trying to stand up. She falls back down and tries again. After three tries of getting up she sits there and looks at me. “The wizard council is a group of old windbags who like to meddle in everyone else’s business and when they are not meddling, they are gossiping all in the name of magic.”

“That’s not true,” sputters Alfred, “the council does many things.”

Hulda tries to stand up again. “That’s right I forgot the drinking and playing practical jokes on unsuspecting people.”

Alfred shakes his head and turns away. “Whatever, it’s too bad that spell didn’t stop your tongue from wagging.”

“Funny, great wizard, funny.” Squawks Impi.

“Yes, Impi, he’s very funny.” This time Hula the mule succeeds in standing up. She is very wobbly on her thin stick legs and great big barrel stomach. She wobbles and almost falls as he turns around and heads for the door. She pauses and looks over her shoulder at Alfred. “When you go to the council, find out how to fix your mess.” Then she’s gone down the hallway. The only noise is the clipty clop of her hoofs on the floor.

“Alfred, can I go with you to the wizard council?” I cross my fingers. Please, please say yes. I haven’t been outside of this house since I got here.

“Can I go, can I go?” Impi flies around and around.

Alfred lets out a big sigh. “I guess we all have to go. I will need the council to find out what went wrong. Impi, you must be on your best behavior, I don’t want a repeat of last time. Go and get ready.”

I jump up and fall back down; my feet have fallen asleep from sitting so long. I shake my legs as I get up again. I walk carefully to the door, with no feeling in my legs I'’ not sure where I am stepping. I better go find Hulda so I know what to wear to a council meeting. Impi flies off down the hallway.”

“Hallway, please take me to Hulda.” I request. When I get to the end of the hallway Hulda is lying in front of the fireplace.

“Hulda,” I quietly walk up to her. “Alfred says we should go get ready, what should I wear?”

Hulda turns her head and looks at me. “Ready for what?”

I jump up and down clapping my hands. “We get to go and see the wizard council with him.”

“I’m not going!” Hulda lays her head back down.

“It can’t be that bad.” I kneel down by the mule.

“Silly girl! I can’t be seen as a mule, I’ll be the laughing stock of the realm.” Hulda shakes her head from side to side.

I sink down and put my chin on my hands. “I didn’t think of that. I was so excited that I got to leave the house I forgot that we are going because you are a mule. What are we going to do?”

Alfred is going to go without me and find a way for them to fix it without them knowing that I am the mule. Wear the green outfit.” It takes her two tries to stand up.

“Wouldn’t it be easier for them to fix what went wrong if they know what went wrong?” I look straight into her big brown eyes.

Hulda stomps her foot. “There is no way the whole world is going to know that Hulda Neble has been turned into a talking mule.”

I grimace. “It wouldn’t be the whole world, just the council.” I see the pain in her big brown eyes.

“One the council knows, the whole world knows.” Hulda lies back down.

I pet her back. “You’re going to ask Alfred to lie for you so the council won’t find out?”

Hulda lays her head in my lap. “Scratch my back please. Do you really think that Alfred T. Neble the Great Wizard is going to let the council know that he messed up?”

“Do I hear someone talking about me?” Alfred comes into the room. “Are you two ready to go?”

I jump up. “No sir, I haven’t had time to get ready yet.”

Hulda nudges me. “Go put on the green outfit like I told you. Myself, I have no idea what a mule would pack. I think I will stay home.”

“The council might need to examine you.” Alfred is explaining as I go out the door.

I hear Hulda’s “No way! You made this mess now you fix it Alfred T. Neble!” as I head down the hallway to my bedroom.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326247-Chapter-Seventeen