*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326511-Chapter-Two
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935639
Theo struggles to learn to control her magic and her temper.
#326511 added February 4, 2005 at 5:20pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
Chapter Two
“Hulda,” I huff as I sit in a chair we have moved a thousand times since we started yesterday. “I think the time keeper is broken, I’m sure there is no sand falling.”
Hulda plops down on the chair next to me. “Goodness child, you’ve been working long and hard these last couple of days. I’m sorry I can’t decide where I want the furniture to go. Why don’t you go and see cook and get that picnic basket that I told her to have ready for you.”
I stand up and give her a big hug. “Thank you, you are the greatest!”
“Don’t let Alfred hear you say that.” Hulda calls as I run out the door.
“Please hallway take me to the kitchen.” I skip all the way down the hallway and into the kitchen.
“Hi cook!” I greet the very large woman kneading bread on the table. “Is this basket for me?”
Cook looks up. “Yes, that is your basket.”
“It’s huge!” I pick up the basket and grunt from how heavy it is.
“That is because you and Lord Elysia will be sharing it. I swear that elf has a hollow leg that he stuffs food into. I’ve never seen anyone so small eat so much except for you.” Cook chuckles to herself.
“I tell you what, I’ll watch him while he eats and see if he puts any in his leg.” As I adjust my grip on the basket.
“Oh you,” cook waves me out of the kitchen. “Get out of her and enjoy your lunch, it’s nice to have you back.”
I was almost out the front door when I called back. “Thank you for the basket.” I don’t know if she responds because I am out the door soaking up the bright yellow sunshine. I walk the crushed rock path looking this way and that for Eli.
“Theo, over here,” Eli is waving from a niche in he garden. This time the bench is right next to fountain. It is like stepping into a whole different world. There are trees and plants and flowers and even birds that I have never seen before. I spread the food out on a tablecloth that cook had so thoughtfully put in the basket.
“Theo, Hulda keeps you very busy. When do you have time to practice magic?” Eli looks over everything in the basket and settles for a chicken breast.
“What is there to practice?” I grab a chicken leg and begin to eat. “Alfred hasn’t taught me anything that needs practice. I know the chant that he requires me to do as he is doing a spell.”
Eli shakes his head. “You did not learn weather magic on your first assignment for the council?”
“You’re joking, right?” I wipe my hands on a wet towel the cook had thoughtfully put in the basket. “Rance and Alfred thought it would be a waste of their time so I spent my whole visit stuck in a tent with Hulda. I didn’t even get to meet the people of Arkell.”
“I thought as much.” Eli eats a few grapes. We sit in silence. Not total silence as I am chomping on chicken and Eli is finishing some grapes.
I let out a big sigh and grab some more chicken. “It is so nice to be home again.”
“Then I will not tell you what Grandmother suggested.” Eli teases.
“You talked to Grandmother? How is she? Is she mad about the dress? When is she coming to visit?” I pause to breathe.
“Slow down,” Eli holds up his arms like he is warding off the questions.
I put my chicken down. “Please tell me what she said.” I bat my eyelashes at him. “Please Lord Elysia,” I bow my head all the way to the ground.
“Enough,” Eli laughs. “I thought I was the jester, sit up and I will tell you.”
I sit up and grab an apple, take a big bite of it and look at him. “I’m ready.”
“I was telling her about your adventures as best as I could and she had so many questions that we thought it would be best if she heard the stories from you. She suggested that I bring you for a visit. But since you are so happy to be home again I will let her know that you do not want to come.”
“Don’t want to come?” I shout as I throw my apple at him. “You better believe I want to come, when do we go?”
Eli throws my apple back at me. “You have to get Alfred’s permission first.
I let out a loud groan and fall to the ground. “He’ll never let me go, he is so mad at me.”
“You will not know till you ask. Maybe he will let you go just to get you out of his hair for a while.” Eli shrugs nonchalantly.
I get up an run to the house yelling, “I’m going to ask him right now.”
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326511-Chapter-Two