*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326526-Chapter-Sixteen
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935639
Theo struggles to learn to control her magic and her temper.
#326526 added February 4, 2005 at 5:34pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Sixteen
“Guys, can we stop for a minute. I think my buss is numb.” We’ve been traveling since the sun was just coming up and now it is middle of the day.
Keva stops running. “Just a short break for some light food and water.”
“I can’t believe that you can run for so long.” I groan as Graydon helps me down. My legs don’t seem to work so I just sit down right where I am and stretch out. “How long can you keep this up? It’s a long ways to Alfred’s house.”
“We will be there late tonight.” Graydon takes a sip of water.
“Impossible!” I exclaim. “I’ve been traveling forever.”
Fashant makes a funny noise in the back of his throat. If I knew better I would think he was laughing. “You traveled in circles for a while,” teases Fashant, “we are taking a more direct route back to Alfred’s.”
“I did not travel in circles.” I mutter as I take the water from Graydon and take a small sip.
“Thankfully you did,” says Graydon, though for a wizard your sense of direction is really messed up.”
“Or is it?” counters Fashant.
“Explain,” Demands Graydon “though I suppose it could be a lack of training.”
“I don’t think that is a factor,” starts Fashant. “I think she did not really want to leave Alfred’s house so she kept going in bigger circles always keeping Alfred’s house in the middle.”
“My stars!” exclaims Graydon, “you are right. She did keep the house in the center of her circles. Interesting.”
“Guys,” I wave my arms, “I’m right here so stop talking about me like I’m not. What is so important about directions? I am lousy at north, south, east, and west. And never ask me to follow the stars because they don’t make any sense to me.”
Graydon laughs. “Spoken like a true wizard. Guess I should never have doubted. Most wizards have a good sense of direction but they follow their instincts not a map and do not remember how they got to were they were going if their lives counted on it.”
“I still don’t understand why this is important.” I eat some of the dried meat that Graydon hands me.
“Alfred keeps insisting that as a girl you can not do magic so why waste the time teaching you. Or at least that is the defense he is going to use.” Explains Graydon.
Fashant cuts in. “Each time you turn around you do something that proves that you can do magic and have every right to be trained. We need to get Alfred to see that.”
“He can be as blind as a bat and more stubborn than a mule.” I agree.
“Rest time is up,” breaks in Graydon. He helps me get back on Keva. I try to find comfortable way to sit but give us as we break into a brisk walk.
“I don’t know how you can keep running for so long.” I comment as I grab the mane and hang on for dear life.
“All elves are trained to run long distances. Now get moving.” Commands Graydon.
“I don’t think I can stay up her much longer.” I protest.
“Stay up there for Alfred, if not for yourself. Queen Danika is not going to be nice in her dealings with him this time.” Urges Graydon.
“Why not?” I manage to get out as Keva finds a hole and I slide sideways.
“Like I said earlier, he did not keep his oath to teach you. Plus, Queen Danika likes you and not just for saving her nephew. I think the most important reason is that you are going to be very powerful with your magic and it is best to have it trained before it gets out of control.” Graydon helps me get back upright on Keva. “We can talk later.”
Keva looks back at me as if to ask “are you ready?” I nod my head and off we go.
For a long time all I do is work on staying on. Then my mind begins to wander over all the things that have happened. Fashant wants to be my familiar. Queen Danika is upset because Alfred hasn’t taught me magic. Graydon is so positive that I am going to be strong in my magic. I don’t know it was possible to sleep riding on the back of an elvensteed but I do it.
I wake up with a jolt when we stop. Graydon helps me down. My legs buckle, thankfully Graydon holds me up. He is exhausted from running all day and doesn’t have the strength to hold us both up. Fashant comes in between the two of us and we grab on. He is just as tired as the rest of us but having four legs make him a little steadier. We shuffle our way to the door, a sorry looking group.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326526-Chapter-Sixteen