*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329321-Chapter-7
Rated: E · Book · Children's · #941001
3 Pumpkins learn that everything is going to be ok...
#329321 added February 19, 2005 at 2:29pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7
Chapter 7

A few days had passed, and the three little pumpkins hadn’t met anyone new. The ever-shining sun had disappeared behind the old oak tree and the stars were beginning to twinkle in the night sky. The three little pumpkins were snuggled within their vines and fast asleep, when Sally was awoken by a rustle of the tall grass. Opening her tired eyes into tiny slits, she noticed a figure coming toward them.

“What is that,” whispered Sally, waking Toby and Michael, her gaze still fixed on the shadowy figure.

“I don’t know,” yawned Michael, “but be very quiet, maybe it doesn’t know we’re here.”

The figure was moving slowly as it came into the dim moonlight. The three little pumpkins could make out a dark, furry creature with two long, white stripes from the tip of its nose to the tip of its long, bushy tail. It began to make its way towards Toby, who was now confident with purpose, and about to call out to the figure.

“Shhhhh,” whispered Michael, watching the creature, as it started sniffing the ground beneath Toby.

Suddenly, Toby burst out in laughter, “That tickles! Stop… tee hee. That tickles!” The outburst startled the creature who sprang back several feet and let out an awful odor.

“Eww! You smell horrible. Why do you smell like that?” yelled Michael.

“You scared me! I was just looking for something to eat! I didn’t mean to tickle you like that. I got scared and sprayed my scent to protect myself,” said the creature.

“We scared you?” asked Sally, “we won’t do that again, I didn’t know anything could smell that bad!”

“Now you’re hurting my feelings. I’m a skunk and that’s the way I defend myself. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“We are pumpkins! We don’t smell. We are orange and round. Someday we will become Jack-O-Lanterns or maybe even pie!” piped Sally, “our very special purpose is to bring joy to children all over the land.”

“We all have a very special purpose,” said the skunk, “each and every one of us, regardless of how we look or smell.”

“You’re very nice and wise, just like Mr. Owl. Plus, you really don’t smell that bad,” said Michael apologetically.

“Thank you. I hope you learn never to judge a book by its cover and that no one has a more special purpose than anyone else,” continued Mr. Skunk, “we all work together to make this world a great place to live. Remember, it is what’s on the inside that counts.”

“Well, good luck finding something to eat, Mr. Skunk, it was nice meeting you!” chimed the three little pumpkins.

“Ta ta!” said the skunk.

It was that night that the three little pumpkins learned that although they had a very special purpose, they were not any better than any other plant or animal. They also learned to never judge anyone by how they look, smell, or talk; everyone is special in their own way.

© Copyright 2005 Silverhand (UN: areck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Silverhand has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329321-Chapter-7