*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/331559
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #944791
A young Lord wins his bride Sapphire in a poker game. Can love happen between these two?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#331559 added November 22, 2015 at 10:34am
Restrictions: None
Sapphire

England 1786
Quentin Wentworth arrived at Tommy O'Riley's house. He was late for his poker game. The rain had slowed him down and he should have left the pub sooner. The horse and carriage had hit every bump in the road. Lord Wentworth was here now. That's what counted. He had arrived at his destination. He hurriedly got out of his carriage and impatiently knocked on the door using the lion door knocker. Simon, the butler answered the door. Quentin handed him his hat as he ran into the den where the poker game was being played.

Lester DeBoard said: Hurry, up ole boy. Ye are playing for a special prize tonight."
Quentin said: "What would that be?"
Lester laughed. "Me beautiful daughter Sapphire. The winner gets to marry her."

Quentin wasn't amused. "What makes you think any of us rogues want a wife? We just want mistresses, poker and brandy. Life doesn't get any better then that!"
Lester was an Earl but he had fallen on bad times. He was in debt but his poker friends had helped him out but now he wanted to marry off his daughter Sapphire . All the men that he played poker with fit his needs for a husband for Sapphire. They were all rich and available.

Tommy was glad to see Quentin. "Hey Dear friend. We are all playing for the hand of Sapphire DeBoard. She is a beautiful blonde woman with eyes the color of blue sapphires. Ye won't be sorry if ye win."
Quentin sat down and said:"Deal. If I win, I will play Lester two thousand pounds and he can keep his daughter."

Langley McGuire was dranking a sherry and he put his glass down long enough to speak his piece. "Quentin, what would be so bad about sleeping with the same woman forever? She's a fine looking woman."

Quentin didn't like the conversation. "Hey! Just deal me my cards."

Quentin Wentworth was the best looking man of the lot. He had black hair and blue piercing eyes that women loved. Every woman wanted to marry Quentin. He wasn't interested. He had three mistresses and those were the only ones that he had ever slept with.

The cards were dealt and the men went around the table and laid their cards down. Quentin was losing. He didn't care tonight. His brandy stared to wear off and he could think clearly now. Before the men knew it, the game was coming to an end. The last round Quentin had a full house. Tommy, Langley and Stewart had nothing. Great! Quentin had just won himself a bride!

Stewart was the first to shake Quentin's hand. Stewart had been a pirate at one time but no one held it against him.

Lester came up to Quentin and hugeed him. "Welcome to the family, son."

Quentin wasn't happy. "Lester, look, I will give you all the money you need but I don't want to marry your daughter. Please."

"My Dear boy, the other men took their chances and you had the lucky hand of cards. You will like Sapphire. You will thank me someday."

Tommy shook Quentin's hand and told him that he was a lucky man. Quentin didn't feel lucky at all.
Tomorrow he was to be at the DeBoard house to meet Sapphire. This could be interesting.

Quentin went home and went to bed but he didn't sleep well. The last thing that he wanted was a wife. How could he get out of this? He had his mistresses. He saw them when he needed a female for company.

Morning came too quickly and Quentin got up and dressed in his fancy suit. He felt like he was attending a funeral. His.

He had his driver Neil drive him to the DeBoard Estate. It was a short trip. Quentin had the maid pick some flowers out of his garden and he was taking them for his bride to be. Neely, the maid had chosen roses.

Quentin got out of the carriage and knocked on the door. A beautiful blonde woman with sapphire eyes opened the door. She had the bluest eyes that he had ever saw and she was definitely the most beautiful woman Quentin had ever saw.

Sapphire looked at Quentin. She sighed. He was the most handsome man that she had ever laid eyes on. She couldn't help but stare. She finally spoke. Lord Wentworth?"

"Quentin, please. You are the woman that I am supposed to marry. I am pleased to meet you. He shook Sapphire's hand.

"Come in, Quentin." What a way to meet your husband. Strangers that were being polite to each other. There would be a marriage without the courtship.
784 Words
** Image ID #1652615 Unavailable **
** Image ID #1653593 Unavailable **
© Copyright 2015 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/331559