*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332422-January-18-2005-storytime
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
January 18, 2005: storytime

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

noticing newbies - newsletter header



Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Your host this week is esprit

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header



What Can You Expect?

or, What Do the Stars Really Mean?


Do you wonder why your rates vary so much? Your item may have been receiving four stars and all of a sudden here comes a couple of 2.5 and 3.0's. Why?

The highest percentage of reviewers are generous with the stars, so most of your rates come from this group. They will point out errors, but won't overwhelm you with them. They are the Encouragers. AKA, Positive Reviewers. *Smile*

Others will concentrate on grammar, spelling and punctuation edits, and rate heavily on those; which could bring the rate down a lot. They love it when the author doesn't proofread, because it means their job is secure. Hey, I'm kidding!

The good twin of this type will point out all these things, but the impression the story made will carry more weight on the final rate. These twins are known affectionately as THE SPELLING POLICE!!! They know their job and do it well.

Some are known as Emotional Raters. They will rate on how the item made them feel personally. They tend to rate very high or very low without considering any technicalities of the writing that made them agree, laugh, cry or become angry. You will recognize them at once by their comments, and you'll know you made your point well. It doesn't matter if they gave you five stars or one, you did a good job! Be proud! It invoked emotions!
*Heart* *Cry* *Angry*


Some will rate on the amount of technical errors which includes the readability of the story. This rate may be low if a number of fix-its are involved. They are not stingy. but stars are precious to them and are given with care. They are lovingly thought of as Negative or Harsh Reviewers.

One more group that everyone belongs to at one time or another is the Sympathy Raters Group. You will soon find out that for every 2.5 rate, you will receive ten 4 star rates. It levels out. *Laugh*

A lower rate doesn't mean the reviewer thinks less of your work; it only means they are using a different criteria for rating.

A single reviewer can be all these types, and usually is. Each piece is seen in a new light by every reader, and they will notice something another missed.

Each of these groups are encouragers and each are giving honest reviews. The only difference between them is the amount of stars given.

Now, to answer the question. Why? *Confused*

It is simply because you've only received reviews from one or two types, and today another type of reviewer found your piece. Out of 299,001 members who are potential reviewers, that shouldn't be a surprise.

The point is, you will receive all types of honest reviews and rates. Each of them are important and each should be helpful in some way to you. The common goal is to learn and to get a piece to become as good as you want it to be.

A place to compare different types of reviews and rates is the Public Review page. Go to ITEM JUMPS in your SITE NAVIGATION. Number three is Public Reviews. If you study the reviews, you'll soon understand you're not the only one who received a low rate. It wasn't personal. While you're there, read a few of the items being reviewed. Compare the review with the item and then write your own review. It's a great way to learn which type of reviewer you will be. It's like anything else, it takes a lot of practice. Just do it your way, they are all good. Even the weird ones. But Be Nice!

Let's lighten up and enjoy the site!

I'll see you on the 16th of Feburary. Don't forget to send that valentine. *Heart*


** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
noticing newbies committee sig

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*




Editor's Picks

** Image ID #830174 Unavailable **



My Picks For Newbies of the Month for January. *Exclaim*


These are only a few that I read this month, and I wish I had room to list them all!

highlighted newbies


patheral
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


phanagra

believeinme

Just MoW

h_dancer

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Forever Fishing  [13+]
The old man loved to fish.
by Spheric


 Killer flies  [13+]
zzzzz, they flew past and left us thinking how, when, what, where.....
by bittersweet


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Here are some items submitted by either the author or noticed by other members.


Whoops! You forgot to send in that item.

Remember to read your neighbor’s work too!

A special note to newbies.

When you finish reading the feedback section; which was terrific this month!, visit the ports of those commenting. They all have a special interest in new members and would love a visit from you. It's always a nice surprise to be noticed. Tell them you found them in the Comment Section of the Newbie Newsletter and make their day brighter.



*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


helpful links

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Writing Contests @ Writing.Com  [E]
Writing Contests on Writing.Com are posted here.
by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


THE DROP-OFF BOX   [13+]
Monthly newbie contest.
by Tammy~Catchin Up~


For those of you who are very new, and missed this announcement, I wanted to point out this item. It would be a great help to those who can use it.

"Site News & Announcements"   by Writing.Com Support

:: Writing.Com Expenses May Be Tax Deductable! ::
Writers and Students: Writing.Com may qualify as a tax deductable business
or education expense; be sure to check with your accountant or tax preparer!



 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



Feedback is a Beautiful Thing.


*Balloon1* *Balloon2* *Balloon3*



Submitted By: PastVoices
Submitted Comment:

Esprit,

Thank you for another wonderful newsletter. I always read and try to review each of the newbie items and mentions. I have to confess that Thanksgiving was a wash. What with cooking for two days and then shopping for two I got out of practice. Then my son has been off from college the past three weeks and getting my computer to myself has been hard. I suppose if I would relent and put the DSL to his room, that would change, but I want some quid pro quo before I will submit [translated it means "how about some housework or rent"?]. LOL

Thank you again for another guide to my reviewing schedule. This newsletter is always one of the first places I go each week!

PastVoices


Thank you! I didn’t lift one finger for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. I went from house to house and ate my fill! This is the first year I’ve done that and it was wonderful! Oh, and don’t count on the ‘quid pro quo’. *Smile*

Submitted By: AuntyNelly
Submitted Comment:

Hi Esprit, as always a great NL. I enjoyed reading your Newbies. Hope your 2005 starts well!
Take care Anto


Hi! Thanks. I’m broke, but I’m not overdrawn. Does that count? Anytime that happens, it’s a good day! *Laugh*

Submitted By: brassminnie
Submitted Comment:

Several times, when I reviewed authors, they said things I mentioned were their 'style.' I think that's terrific, IF...

I'm an experimental writer. I worked hard to learn the rules, and then chose which to break how, and I worked on it for over a decade. That's the difference between technical errors and 'style;' choice and consistency.

If you are trying something new, tell your readers. While I was running the experiment to see if it worked, I didn't do that, but now I say my work is designed for very fast readers with 12th grade-plus vocabularies. It's also designed to be read more than once. (It does 'work.' My 'feedback' clearly shows I hit my market 'right on target.')

Yes, I see more and more items on "Please Review"   by Writing.Com Support that are asking for specific feedback. I love it! It helps the reviewer tremendously when they know going in what the author wants. Thanks for bringing this up!


Submitted By: Leah Arlene
Submitted Comment:

Great advice on how to receive reviews! It takes a little while to get multiple reviews on the same item so you can compare them, but it's worth the wait. If your first review was too weird, but the next five are good and more or less agree with each other, that tells you you're getting through to most readers. It also boosts your confidence. The next time you meet up with a weird review it doesn't bother you so much. You just brew another pot of Kona and wait to see what other reviews say.

Thanks, and this comment could also apply to today’s newsletter. Hey, do you get weird reviews? *Laugh* Some reviewers have fun with being weird. I like the lighter tone of some of them. Sometimes, we just get too serious with ourselves and need the relief. Saying the words: Huh? and What the! are good stress relievers; right up there with spicy, hot chile and a cup of Kona.

Submitted By: megsie2584
Submitted Comment:

Great article, Esprit! So good, in fact, that I'm sending out a group letter to my "Simply Everything" reviewing team. I thought you might want a copy. :^)

Hello Simply Everything Team.

I hope you all are enjoying the holidays.

There is an article by esprit in the Noticing Newbies Newsletter that I thought you would all like to read. It is written for authors who are being reviewed but is fabulous for the reviewer to read, too.

If you don't get the Noticing Newbies Newsletter (or any other writing.com official newsletter) you can sign up on your "My Account" page. If you don't have a copy of this week's and would like to, please email me and I'll forward a copy on to you.

Hugs

Megan


Wow, talk about encouraging! This is the best compliment anyone could receive! Thank you, Megsie!


Submitted By: Puditat
Submitted Comment:

Great editorial Esprit. Encouraging and honest. Any writer would find your editorial enheartening as we always have those moments of self-doubt (at least I do).

I do too. I have to keep charging myself up or I would just lie down and quit, and I don’t even write that much. Encouraging comments like yours and a pan of freshly made fudge are the best medicines for the self-doubt syndrome. It’s a proven fact. I've proven it.


Submitted By: Gen
Submitted Comment:

Once again, I feel as if I have been to the mountaintop. Much food for thought here, and many words of wisdom.
"Revision" can be a "funny" thing, like unexpectedly stumbling into a swamp of quicksand. You can literally spend years doing it. The more you struggle, the more it grabs you and pulls you under. Tread the Swamp of Revision carefully!
Feelings of "uncertainty", and even paranoia, can easily lead an aspiring author into this deadly morass. You've got to have the sense to know when to say "stop".
At that point, like the old gunfighter, you're going to have to step out into the street. You will be alone. Nobody will be holding your hand as the critics and reviewers open up on you. Here again, you are going to have to be able to tell the difference from a shot that hits home, and a shot that only nicks you. Take care of the mortal wound and put a bandaid on the others!


Gen, are you saying we need to stop making excuses and actually submit the work?! Horrors! But what if it's accepted? Sold for hard cash, becomes a bestseller overnight and the publisher wants another, immediately?
That’s too scary to even think about.



Submitted By: Cubby~Home!
Submitted Comment:

Esprit,
You always write such great newsletters.

I remember feeling the same way as you described when I first became a member. It's like you want everyone to love your writing and say wonderful things about it, and then... someone critiques your stuff. I've come a long way since then, but I'll never forget feeling crushed, lol! I love what you wrote... Beginning writers make excuses for their work. Good writers revise and polish their words until every point shines. And still, it's not always easy, but it's great advice! Good job.
Love, Cubby ")


Cubby, we still want everyone to love our writing! No matter how long we’re here, we'll feel crushed when mistakes are pointed out. We’ve just learned to hide it better behind the polishing rags. I agree though, it's great advice; just not very doable, honestly. But we do try, don't we?


Submitted By: TaintedFemale
Submitted Comment:

I just wanted to say that this Newsletters editorial by esprit was insightful and encouraging and above all a great read. On top of all that it looks like she’s picked some great Newbie’s for us to take a look at! Keep up the great work!

Anood


Hi, Anood, I’m glad you came by! I missed you. Yeah, I wish I had room to list more of them. There are just so many!

Submitted By: Wannabe
Submitted Comment:

I enjoyed your newsletter and the encouragement you sent not only to newbies but oldbies on the site. I only have one question I was always told to show the reader your story, not tell as your final comment read. So is it better to tell than to show or vice versa.

Did I say that? Maybe it was a typo, you think? *Smile* Well, the only way I know how to answer is, it takes both. A good fiction depends on showing with just enough telling to keep the story moving. Too much 'showing' can drag on and on if it's scenery or dinner. Non-fiction will include more telling, but depending on the purpose of the piece, a good image is important too. For instance; a warning label written for an electrical appliance will ‘tell’ the user not to use it in the bath, and it also ‘shows’ a picture of the bathtub with a huge red X through it.
This is a great question; you got me! I think it will be the topic of an upcoming newsletter. Thank you! I need to get into the habit of reading my work! grumble grumble


Submitted By: invisibleink
Submitted Comment:

I never fail to learn something, be encouraged or, simply, have my day brightened, whenever I read one of your NL. Thank you for helping, cheering and sharing in the efforts of others. My respect, i2

invisibleink You are the best day-brightener I know! Thank you! Don't you ever write a rant? *Laugh*


Submitted By: lynk
Submitted Comment:

Well done Esprit!
I think that's the most encouraging, positive newsletter I've ever read.
You know that I used to be touchy about my reviews but now I cherish every criticism, study each suggestion from every angle and edit as I see fit.

I think it's essential for newbies to know that 99% of the population in this community are trying to help and every newbie who reads this newsletter will get that message!

Lynne.


Thanks, Lynne! You’re dishing out the encouragement pretty good yourself! I bolded your message because I want it to be seen!
I like the way you snuck this line in to see if anyone noticed. That's funny! I edit as I see fit.
You want to know something though? I’m still touchy about the criticism, I don’t think it’s something a writer ‘get’s over’. They just learn to accept it with a bit more dignity.


I really appreciate all the encouragement sent my way this month. Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

You can access the back issues of the newsletters I've edited by following the link listed below. Each editor probably has theirs in their ports.

"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor


Editors:

Look for laurencia next week!
Puditat
Cubby~Home!
esprit

*Balloon1* *Balloon2* *Balloon3* *Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6*



WRITING TIP

Read. Read and study how it's done.


*Balloon1* *Balloon2* *Balloon3* *Flower1* *Flower2* *Flower3* *Flower4* *Flower5* *Flower6* *Balloon4* *Balloon5* *Balloon6*


 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332422-January-18-2005-storytime