*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332424-February-1-2005-kiwiangel
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
February 1, 2005: kiwiangel

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Reading* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Reading*


You come across this site, by accident, or perhaps following a link from some entrenched Writing.com'mer. Soon you are drawn into the supportive community who all share a common dream and passion - writing.

After that initial excitement of finding Writing.com there comes the need to make the most of the many opportunities afforded. This newsletter is to welcome you, our 'Newbies' and to help make you experience here an exciting, friendly and rewarding time.

In this newsletter we will showcase some of our talented Newbies as well as providing handy tips and advice. We welcome you to submit questions, ask for help or say hello. We are here to help.

Many non-newbies read this newsletter to. A warm welcome to them and a huge thank you for helping to make our new members feel welcome and supported.

Your host this week is: Puditat


Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header

How To Write


In this editorial I am not proposing a lesson on writing, a technical 'how to' or even to profess that I know how to write, but rather an exploration of ourselves as a writer.

I was reading a weekly magazine a friend had passed on to me, containing several articles on writing and some featured works of fiction. What I found was an encouraging but realistic look at the world of writing. There are many gems in the articles and I will probably utilise many over the course of this year's editorials.

First up is a quote from Margaret Mahy. She is a successful and famous New Zealand author of over 100 published childrens titles. She is also the recipient of two medals and four other awards for writing. Margaret started writing when just seven years old [hey, I've been writing creatively since I was seven too *Delight*]. She became a full-time writer in 1980. This excerpt is from the opening of an article entitled "How to Write [3]" written by Margaret Mahy, for the "New Zealand Listener" January 8-14, 2005 issue.

         How to write? I wish I knew for sure. I'd certainly boast about my knowledge. Of course I have been a writer of a kind for many years now, but when asked how to write, I find I am still trying to puzzle it out ... edging closer but never, so far, able to say with confidence, "Look! I really know how to write. I have pinned down the process. From now on I'll be an infallible writer." ~ Margaret Mahy

Many of us are just starting out on our journey of finding our writing voice, or we are muddling along wondering if we'll ever make it. For me, reading this article by a respected and earning author was a bolt of brilliant enouragement. If she feels this way about the process of writing, then perhaps I'm not doing so bad after all. I hope you find her words as encouraging as I did. *Smile*

You see, every writer is also a learner. We are all learning ... about how to be a writer, about our own writing, about the world. Each of us is at a different stage on the learning road. It can be discouraging to get a harsh critique on something, especially when we are relatively new. But that critiquer is also learning, even as they offer advice on your work. I have learnt so much from reviewing others work, and more quickly too, than if I had tried to sit and study the subject. Passive learning is quite enjoyable and less painful than any exam. *Wink*

Enjoy the journey of life that occurs as you develop your skills as a writer. Even a seasoned writer such as Margaret Mahy struggles to say that she knows how to write.

Thanks for reading.
Puditat
noticing newbies committee sig



Editor's Picks

This week's wonderful bunch of great Newbie works for your reading pleasure. Please be encouraging and provide feedback for these new members of our community. *Smile*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#932842 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#932808 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#932970 by Not Available.


 Acceptance  (13+)
This is a poem about confusion and life's neverending struggle for acceptance.
#932840 by hrtshpedbox


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#933043 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#933085 by Not Available.


 Red Roses and Blue Violence  (13+)
Wrote this in five minutes in History last December, I think. Punk song about a girl.
#932819 by HotPants


 Breaking  (E)
A poem i wrote on the pain of losing a friend---or at least feeling like i've lost her
#933071 by BlueEyedAngel


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#932890 by Not Available.


Some items from other authors which may be encouraging, helpful or thought-provoking. *Smile* Enjoy!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#925452 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#900580 by Not Available.


 Tips for Novice Authors - Part 1  (E)
Tips for the person who has always wanted to become an author
#745091 by Patty Apostolides



 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Questions Answered

*Question* Hello. How do I get one of my items to appear in the "Read a Newbie" spot on writing.com?
mistermercy

*Idea* Welcome to Writing.com! *Smile* First step is to post some work in your portfolio. The choices for the "Read a Newbie" section are randomly generated and most Newbies will in fact be featured here. However due to the high volume and the rate at which these pages are loaded it is highly unlikely that you would get the right random sequence and see your name the very time it is featured.

There are other ways to be seen though. Once you have some writing in your port, our dedicated team of people that delve into Newbies portfolios will read and give you feedback. You may end up with a feature in a newsletter. There are so many new people coming in all the time that it is impossible to feature every single one, but the more active within the site you are the more you'll get noticed and improve your chances. Also there are many more site newsletters than "Noticing Newbies" so there's lots of opportunities to be featured.

Many thanks to the The StoryMaster for his help in answering this query!

Feedback from January 5th's issue

*Flower2* I just want to say that this is one thing that has helped to make me a writing.com junkie. Newbies do feel welcome here, and it shows that this writing community is a caring one. This means a lot to me.
Thank you for this newsletter!
Sky
skyisfalling02

What beautiful feedback. I'm sure all the other newsletter editors and faithful readers of Newbies join me in thanking you for enheartening us in our efforts to make Newbies feel welcome. *Delight*

*Flower2* What a helpful newsletter! Great job. I do think newbies would get more reviews by reading more and giving more reviews themselves. For that matter, all of us would! Plus, I like finding the bio block there. It adds interest and suggests some commitment or professionalism.
Katya the Poet

Definitely, active reading and reviewing helps. And I like your point about the Bio Block, it helps the reader make a connection to the author, much like the photo and bio do on your favourite novel.

*Flower2* Thank you for another helpful newsletter. I get a lot from your newsletter every time--help for myself as a Newbie, and a lot of new authors to read!
Leah Arlene

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is always great to hear we are on the right track. *Smile*

*Flower2* Puditat,

I don't know if I have sent you feedback or not this week as I have been hot on a hot column and meeting myself coming and going!

You know I love this newsletter and again it is a keeper!

Although, I have done every suggestion you had and I do far more reviews than I get back. Lately the reviews have been ones I have requested from an individual who has helped me before. I am happy to return reviews to others, but it is tough when you aren't being reviewed. (And I will be here two years sometime this month.

Oh well, now that I learned how to put two years worth of mail organized into folders (I didn't know I could do that), I feel more secure in what I am doing too.

Keep up the fantastic work!!
PastVoices
PastVoices

*Bigsmile* Happy Writing.com Birthday! *Bigsmile* I always enjoy your feedback. Unfortunately, for heavy reviewers, the balance is not going to be there. Many people opt for a gift of points in place of a return review. I too, experience this. But I urge you and others in the same boat, don't be discouraged by a lack of reciprocation. Your own writing will be all the better for performing the critiques that you do. You help the community, and your dedication will be rewarded, if not by those you review, then by others with caring, sharing hearts. *Heart*

*Flower2* Good job on the selections and the information! Knowing the many ways for being seen (as I am a newbie) helps immensely, and I hope to be reviewed soon. Keep writing yourself, and enjoy your time! *Bigsmile*
fantasyquest

Thank you for the feedback. I am sure that you would have already hauled in a few reviews now. A warm welcome to our community. *Smile*

*Flower2* Comment

Today I read
Tommorow I will read
Maybe even the next day
Soon I will review a few
Now I feel overwelmed with the new
Too much to take, in one bite
Stumbled on newbie contest about goals
Didn't have one then
Have one now
Goal to finish current book by 12/31/05
There I said it
Now to the doing.
ART
apucket3

Welcome, I hope that you have enjoyed what you have seen as you find your way about the site. You raise a good point. It can take a while to find one's feet in this cyber world, but I assure you all, it's worth the effort. *Smile*
PS. Thanks for being the most poetic feedback I've received so far. *Wink*


Feedback from December 15th's issue

*Flower1* Thanks for your helpful article on titles. I'm presently working on a mystery, but I think the title gets in my way when the story goes off in another direction! I'll try your suggestions, perhaps delete the title for now, and work on the ending without the influence of the "wrong title."

I enjoy this newsletter; your editorials are helpful and welcome to this "newbie." Continue the good work, and by all means, Keep Writing!
Janet
Janet

If the title is getting in the way of writing the story, then certainly abandon it for the time being. It may be that the title never fits, allow that to happen. You can always write something else using the original title as the prompt. Nothing should be considered wasted in a writer's world. *Bigsmile*

*Flower6*~~*Flower6*~~*Flower6*


Any queries, problems, praise or advice? Send it to one of Editors via the feedback form on this newsletter or direct to their email by clicking the wee envelope after their handle. *Smile*


 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332424-February-1-2005-kiwiangel