*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/338971
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Relationship · #910017
Finishing Touches and Final Strokes in one edition.
#338971 added April 4, 2005 at 9:37am
Restrictions: None
chapter 8

Looking up from her paperwork, Jenna checked the clock. Two more hours. She just wanted to go home, to see Trevor and find out … what, she didn’t know. But the night before had left her with too many fears and her stomach was unsettled. She needed to see him. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be working at the bar tonight, even if it was Friday and busy.

She stood, stretching her muscles and trying to clear her head. He was worried about Alan? Why? The question had kept her awake long after Trevor had fallen asleep, grasping her arm even through his soft snoring. He’d had a hard time waking her this morning. Dressed and ready to go to work, he had leaned down, planting kisses and telling her it was time to get up. Jenna grinned, despite her fears. She was worrying too much. They were fine.

She left five minutes after the gallery closed, rushing out earlier than usual. He’d picked up the kids already, calling a half hour ago to let her know. A good sign that he wasn’t heading off to the bar.



Dropping her coat onto the rack, Jenna looked around her. No sign of the kids. No noise.

She didn’t see Trevor, either. A shiver made her pause in her entrance into their home. Where were they? The lights were on. Would he have left them on for her? A queasiness in the pit of her stomach took hold. They weren’t home. What had happened?

Her nerves beginning to fray, she continued toward the bedrooms, barely able to make herself call out, afraid of not getting an answer. “Trevor?” Nothing. She quickened her pace. “Trevor!” Rounding the corner to her bedroom, she ran into … someone, and jumped back.

“Hey.”

Jenna began breathing again.

“What’s wrong, Jen?” Trevor touched her arm.

“Where are the kids?”

“At Nina’s.”

“You said you were picking them up.”

“No.” He moved his face closer. “I said you didn’t need to. I want to take you out tonight. It’s Nate’s birthday – they’re having a big party at the Gallery. I want us to go.”

Breathing easier, Jenna finally looked at him. He was wearing the outfit she liked, along with the cologne she had given him. She enjoyed the view, and the way he was looking into her eyes. But the kids … she’d been away from them all week already, and she was tired. Why hadn’t he mentioned it before?

“I’m sorry for the short notice. I forgot, but don’t tell them that. I just had to agree that we’d planned on going or I would have asked first.”

“It’s freezing tonight, you know. It’s nasty out there, and I’d have to get cleaned up, and…”

“And we need this.” He pressed closer. “Come with me, Jen.”

His scent and the touch of his fingers softened her resistance. And she liked going to the bar with him. It seemed to be their one safe place – the one place they were always comfortable with where they were. The one place others accepted their relationship as it was. She agreed to go, promising to hurry.

We need this. The phrase echoed through her mind while digging through her closet to find something appropriate. And it continued while cleaning up and changing. What had he meant? She supposed she wouldn’t ask, yet. There was no point in starting the evening with a conversation she didn’t want to have.

Insisting on calling the kids before they left, Jenna began enjoying the thought of the evening ahead – just the two of them and his friends … their friends. And Trevor was in a good mood. She ignored the coat he was holding to help her put on and pushed her arms around his waist, touching his lips. Then she met his eyes. “Don’t get too tired.”

He grinned, continuing to help her into her coat. “I thought we’d take a taxi. It’ll be here soon.”
© Copyright 2005 Voxxylady (UN: voxxylady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Voxxylady has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/338971