*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368315
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #982893
An ancient prophesy comes to life...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#368315 added August 23, 2005 at 7:21pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Five
CHAPTER FIVE: FREEING THE JAILBIRD


         Robert looked in the buidling, peering about the cells, which were filled up by numerous people. They all looked horribly depressed and sorrowful. Finally, he found the jailkeeper of the town. The lad ran up to him. "Excuse me, but can you direct me to a friend of mine?" he asked.
         The jailman nodded. "She just came in today, didn't she?"
         Robert nodded, affirming the question.
         "Follow me," the jailkeeper said as he began to walk along. "It's strange," he began, flipping through his keys. "There's been a rise in crime these last few months. The odd thing is, it's all women. They've all been convicted of stealing fine jewelry from a merchant in town. Sounds a little fishy to me, but the evidence stacked against them is pretty solid." They had finally approached Jennifer's cell. Her face was stained with tears. The jailkeeper unlocked and opened the door. "Well... here she is. Please tell me when you leave so I can lock this back up." He walked off, back to his desk.
         Robert ran up to Jennifer."Are you ok?"
         Jennifer nodded sullenly. She was under horrible stress and tears coninuously flowed out of her eyes. It was a pitiful thing to see. She ran up to Robert and held onto him tightly. "Please take me out of here, Robert! Please!" she began sobbing uncontrollably. " I don't want to be here any longer! Please...!"
         Robert looked down on her in pity. "Don't worry... I have a plan to get you out of here... as well as the rest of these innocent people that fell in that merchant's trap. She'll soon be in here herself." He pulled her away from him and looked her deep in the eyes. "You'll need to stay in here a bit longer, but I swear I'll get you out. You have my word."
         The thought of staying in the jail any longer was dreadful, but Robert's word was trustworthy. He had never broken his word before, and so his promise comforted her. She nodded and tried to force a smile.
         Robert walked off to see Gregory talking to the jailkeeper.
         "Huh? What do you mean you can't have more than two visitors at once?" Gregory asked heatedly.
         "The rules are rules. You wait until the other kid gets back and then you can go see your sister," the jailkeeper repeated himself for the third time, though still rather calmly.
         Gregory growled. He turned about to see Robert heading his way. "HEY!" He turned to the jailkeeper. "He's back now! Let me go in!"
         "No time! We have to hurry, Gregory!" Robert exclaimed as he walked past him.
         Gregory growled. "All that for nothing..." He shook his head and loked at Robert, who was stepping up to the jailkeeper.
         "Do you have any female guards in this town, or at least any women that you know are trustworthy?" Robert asked.
         The jailkeeper nodded. "We have one woman on the guard." He smiled. "She's a pretty one, too."
         "We need her dressed up as a traveler! I have a way to prove these women innocent!" Robert exclaimed.
         The jailkeeper scratched the back of his head. "I suppose I could send a messenger, thought I don't see where you're going with this."
         And so the jailkeeper sent a messenger to fetch the female guard. Her name was Lorris, and the jailkeeper was right; she was pretty. Robert explained that he needed several guards to stay in earshot of her, but not look as if they're traveling with her, and she was to walk in the town as if she had just arrived.
         They carried out the plan, which worked rather well, actually, and then...
         "Excuse me, ma'am!" yelled out a woman's voice. The same woman that got Jennifer locked up came to Lorris. "I believe I've seen you before..."
         Lorris shook her head. "You must be mistaken. I've just arrived here from--"
         "Oh, nonesense! I'm sure of it! And if I know you as I do, you'll love these!" The woman once again began putting the jewelry on Lorris, then stepped back and smiled. "Don't you look wonderful?"
         Lorris looked down at the jewelry. "Why... yes. Thank you!"
         The woman smirked. "That will be 3,000 gold pieces!"
         Lorris looked at the woman, astonished, as did the guards around her. "I don't have that kind of money! Take this back!" She, like Jennifer, began giving the jewelry back.
         "You can't do that!" the woman yelled. "Guards! Another theif!"
         "You can say that again," one of the guards said. They all surrounded her. "Seems we've caught you in the act," one said, smirking.
         Robert laughed in joy of his plan's success. Gregory ran up to her. "You know, ma'am. I hear they've got some really nice bracelets they'll put on you. They're made out of the finest rope in the jail." They all laughed and the guards tied her hands together with those "very fine bracelets".
         As she was escourted to the jail, she glared at Robert and Gregory menacingly. "I'll get you for this! You'll pay! When you least suspect it, I'll do you in! Be forewarned!"
         Robert looked at Gregory, raising an eyebrow. "What could she do to us from in jail?" He scratched the back of his head, then smiled. "Let's go to Jennifer. She'll be overjoyed!" He laughed and ran into jail.
         Gregory smiled at Robert. "He's a good kid. A real good friend. We're lucky to have him around... God bless him."
© Copyright 2005 The Southern Polaris (UN: levitimes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Southern Polaris has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368315