*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378202
Rated: 13+ · Book · Friendship · #984020
This is about the pitfalls of a superstar athlete who is trying to remain true to himself.
#378202 added October 9, 2005 at 10:15am
Restrictions: None
the team
Things were going better than A.J. could have ever dreamed. He had just won the State Championship in a sport he just learned how to play, he was on the team with his best friend and there was even a girl that had caught his eye. The girls name was Ashley Leigh Jacobs and she was a sophomore who was in A.J.’s English class. He had thought she was cute on the first day but through the course of the year his feelings evolved. He became enchanted with her smile, her infectious laugh and the way there always seemed to be a twinkle in her eye.

Of course A.J. didn’t have the guts to talk to her so when she spoke to him he became even more tongue tied than usual and he almost fainted. A.J. was standing at his locker when Ashley strutted up to him.

"Hey. I heard about the game and how you won it single handed".

"I didn’t do it all. If not for Teddy and the rest of the team I never could have stolen home. Besides, even after I scored we still had to keep the other team from tying it up in the bottom of the inning".

"People say you are the best player on the team and that you already have offers to play in the pros. Is that true"?

"No. I just started playing baseball this year. I have a long way to go before I make it to the majors".

"Well I think you’re pretty special. And with that Ashley leaned in and gave A.J. a quick peck on the cheek and then started walking off. I’ll see you in class".

A.J. stood at his locker and just stared as Ashley walked away. He was shocked back to reality when the late bell rang and the principal making the announcement over the loudspeaker, “Everyone who is not in a classroom is late. Please report to the office for your tardy slip”.

A.J. closed his locker and meandered his way to the office but when he got there something weird happened. The principal was handing out the tardy slips and when he saw A.J. he said, “Congratulations on the big game son! Don’t worry about being late just don’t make it a habit”. And with that he handed A.J. a hall pass that did not have an expiration date.

A.J. walked out of the office with a puzzled look on his face. He was happy that the team had won the state championship but why was everyone making such a big deal about it?

During English class A.J. was unable to focus. All he could do was gaze at Ashley and daydream about their moment in the hall. But A.J. was still shy and didn’t speak to her again for the remainder of the year.


© Copyright 2005 Kingfan (UN: kingfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kingfan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378202