*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380198-June-29-2005-laurencia
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
June 29, 2005: laurencia

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Noticing Newbies Newsletter is geared to help new members get acquainted with Writing.com -- there is so much do and all the features can be overwhelming! Our goal is to help new members make their time here more fun and manageable. Each week we will showcase new authors items (poetry, short story, polls, etc.). Exposure for each member's writing will help bring more rates and reviews for their work, and by bringing more member interaction to the member, that will give them the opportunity to build friendships with other members, as long as they reciprocate reviews and conversation -- remember, it is a two way street.

"There's someone that you haven't already met, go introduce yourself to him or her. Walls and labels can't keep you from the people who are so similar to you in spirit. There's a friendly face behind every door if you pick the right moment to knock. Once you start your wave of creative outreach, it turns into a contagious force. People are waking up and smiling at each other, sharing their dreams without hesitation. This community is worth something."

-- Author Unknown

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

Okay...I have registered, I have my own port...NOW what? Yikes!!

** Image ID #985158 Unavailable **

Not to fret, you are not expected to memorize the site like a textbook for year-end finals...what fun would that be?! Unless of course you are a webbookworm...there are some of you out there, lol. Obviously, it would be important to know how to type with at least two fingers, write or read if you like. There is no pressure to know anything, except to have fun. *smile*

I receive so many emails from new members who are freaking-out over the size of Writing.com's community; immediately some members think there are expectations, but that is not the case at all. So, please don't worry about anything, okay.

Whatever expectations there are, should be for yourself. What you put into the site, is what you will receive. Some people like to dive right in and get involved with contests, talk forums, filling their port with items, etc. Then there are people who like to just sit back and take their time deciding what they want to do first...either one is fine.

For those of you who would like a little guidance of where to start...I would recommend reading "Getting Started: Table of Contents -- it's easy to follow and not overwhelming.

Have fun!

Until next time...
** Image ID #693142 Unavailable **

Editor's Picks

*Star* Monthly featured newbies I have personally chosen for your enjoyment: *Star*


 The Benefits of Reviewing  (E)
From the errors of others, a wise man corrects his own. {Syrus}
#982425 by Florence C.


 March Winds  (E)
childrens' story that has my nephew as the inspiration!
#971580 by cottontail


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#973530 by Not Available.


 Breakfast at McWeeny's  (18+)
A piece about a women stuck in strange town she can't manage to escape from
#983617 by dle


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982540 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#982753 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#972137 by Not Available.


 Oh God (Chapters 1-6)  (13+)
Chapters 1-6 of my NaNoWriMo story. Enjoy the confusion, chaos, and oddness that is me.
#908974 by Stephanie


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#984341 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#960477 by Not Available.



CONTESTS!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#844409 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#966467 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#622871 by Not Available.

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Thank you so much for "noticing" me! I really appreciate it and I love the newsletter!
lezleechick04

You're welcome, it's my pleasure. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the newsletter.



Hello there and how are you doing this morning? This is like the coolest and most helpful website I have ever seen. As a would be writer I have been looking for a place like this for years, unfortunately I only found it a few days ago. Hey, now it's here and I'm happy.

Well once again have a great day.

peace love and vampire blood
albinosquirls

I'm just fine, thanks for asking! *smile* It is always great to hear from people like you.



Laurencia, reading the newsletter left me with a question...How are newbies selected to become highlighted? To my knowledge, as of now, I don't think I have been.
If I was, in previous issue(s), please forgive...as I am unaware!

...gimme a yodel! Not the chocolate covered sweet snack I crave every morning....lol

I'm left wondering, does it happen by chance, or is there a process I missed?
Jim Xavier Kobel

Editors, including myself will personally decide who and what item they would like to highlight. Also, if you post an item that you would like plugged, you would write to the newsletter and kindly ask to have your item posted (make sure you leave the item#). That's it! I usually try to let members know a few days ahead of time that their item is being posted.



I wrote an item to get reviewers to be a little more thorough, and now, I am getting other members writing to me and asking me to add in their points.
I think some ideas and advice would be useful for newbies.
Florence C.

Most definitely! Obviously, some peole think you are a good writer and would like your advice. *smile*



I'm a newbie, so I'm taking the advice given in the newsletter and submitting my work. It's worth a shot - right? Also, I appreciate the info on using the bitem:format for submitting contest entries. I wasn't quite sure how that worked. I'm excited to really utilize this site. If there's even a remote chance I'll become a famous novelist - well, then I better do whatever I can to get there. This site is a great aid. Any other tips for getting maximum exposure?
dle

Yes, I would recommend reading the following links, "Gaining Exposure Within Writing.Com and "Invalid Item


Hello,

I noticed that earlier in the newsletter you mentioned that people who previously had an account aren't newbies and I thought maybe you could explain something to me.

I started an acount around the 5th of June and used my real full name as my login. Within the first few days I received what I thought was massive amounts of traffic to my portfolio, an upgraded account and tons of reviews. Then I realized that my login name was visible to people using writing.com so I spoke with the story master and we deleted the account and got me a new one.

Since then, I have left my stuff all over all sorts of review forums and everything and I haven't even received 1/5th of the attention I had before. Is that because before I was labeled a newbie and now I am not?

Thanks
Lolli is back

Yes, I remember your first account. The amount of time from your first account to your second wasn't very long, a week maybe, so you are definitely still a newbie. I'm not quite sure why you are not receiving as much traffic as you were before, especially since you are participating in forums. All I can say is, keep up with what you are doing, the traffic will come. Read the exposure link I listed above.



Am I considered a newbie if so can i still submit my writing?
Lyrick

Newbies are considered to be members who have been here for 30 days or less.



Laurencia,

I have just read the June 2nd Noticing Newbies Newsletter. Everyone, newbie or not, can appreciate your topic here. You know me, slogging through my newsletters, I read my Noticing Newbies Newsletter, Spiritual Newsletter, and For Authors Newsletter from beginning to end and read and rate most of the selections (especially the newbies). Every once in a while, it pays off in return reviews and tow and one half years later, I am still learning about the site like a newbie!

You are a dear. I loved this line, you were so diplomatic (emphasis mine):

You can also rate and review members' work, most people appreciate your efforts.

As always,
PastVoices

Thank you PV for the great feedback, and for being supportive, my dear friend. *smile*



I love hear to hear from you all...keep the comments, suggestions or questions coming!

See you July 27th!

laurencia 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm | Modified: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380198-June-29-2005-laurencia