*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388023-I-hate-
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#388023 added November 23, 2005 at 6:34pm
Restrictions: None
I hate ,,,?
Today's prompt on Writer's Cramp is to write a story about someone you hate, At first I didn't think much about it but as I wandered through my afternoon baking apple and pumpkin pies for tomorrow's feast, I begin to have misgivings about this prompt.

Hate is a powerful word. Oh sure, somewhere in my ancient history, in some school yard somewhere, I probably shouted out the words, "I hate you, Bobby Rumford!" but that was that week, the next week Bobby and I were back to being best buddies. That really wasn't hate. Faced with the daunting task of writing for this prompt, I began to run names through my head of people who I have a particular distaste for, some recent, some not, to see if they would qualify for the honor of being someone I truly hate. Grand total - zero. Not one.

Sure, I'm the same guy that in high school, when confronted by his German teacher saying, "Everyone is prejudice, Herr Umholtz", responded with, "Not me, Herr Kohler. I hate everybody...equally." I know, I know. I was a smartass, even then. But to truly hate someone? Cna't come up with a single one.

It's not that I am some saintly person, some chanting monk that has become one with the universe. It's actually much simpler than that. You see hate is an emotion, and emotions take energy. I have only so much energy to go around so I choose not to waste it on some pointless venture of hating someone. Hate is like a black hole, it will concume every bit of enegy you have. I may have nothing more to do with you. I may even plot my revenge for some percieved wrong, but hate you? Nope, sorry not going to happen.

I think I'll pass on writing for that prompt and save my energy for the prompt that asks me to write about someone I love. Now that's a list I can easily fill with names and an emotion that I hope does consume me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

© Copyright 2005 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388023-I-hate-