*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/389191-Rain-rain-and-more-rain
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#389191 added November 29, 2005 at 10:21am
Restrictions: None
Rain, rain and more rain....
It's pouring down rain here. It's been pouring down since I got up this morning. Not a good day to go hunting the wily whitetail, which is what I was planning to do today. So being the wuss that I am I stayed home. I could've gone to work but I decided to use the day to get a few things done around the house and to go visit my folks and make them dinner (Ham, beans & potatos).

Time was when a hunter would be out there even on a day like today and I have no doubt that there are a few out there today, simply because it's their only opportunity to hunt and they're hoping against hope to bag a deer. 300 years ago you hunted for survival, and the weather didn't matter. If you were unsuccessful you starved and maybe your family also. Todays hunters hunt for recreation, for tradition, for bragging rights.

Still, there are some areas of the world where people hunt to survive. They are the only true hunters of our modern world. The rest of us are simply Lazy Boy hunters, not that I have anything against recliners, they are my favorite piece of furnitre...next to my bed. But face it, if I don't bag...or harvest, as the new politically correct terminology calls it, a deer this year, I will not starve, my family will not starve. In fact I will save one hundred plus dollars for processing (I no longer do my own butchering) the deer and making it into all sorts of tasty edibles such as deer bologna and jerky. That hundred bucks will buy a fine meal out at Red Lobster (don't get me started on Dread Lobster)or some other restaurant of my choice.

Maybe I should have been born 300 years ago, when hunters were hunters. Ii wonder...do you think they had recliners back then?

© Copyright 2005 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/389191-Rain-rain-and-more-rain