*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/398398-Mrs-Williams
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1054704
Hi,a warm welcome to all from Me
#398398 added January 10, 2006 at 5:21pm
Restrictions: None
Mrs Williams
The Elderly Woman smiled at me in recognition or perhaps sympathy, as I walked up the driveway towards her.
The rain streamed from the peak of my cap and nerves tingled as several droplets traced a path down my spine from the nape of my neck to the small of my back. I shivered, looked to the heavens distainfully and handed her a newspaper.
She nodded her thanks and chuckled as two little gray/brown rodents scampered away to the shelter of one of the nearby trees.

"Fiesty little critters aren't they?" She offered, in fondness and admiration.
I followed their rapid ascent and nodded my silent agreement .
Mrs Williams glanced at my paper cart.

"D'Ya have many more deliveries to make ? I've got coffee on, if you want one."

Generous to a fault and always ready for a chat, Mrs Williams is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet . Her big beautiful front yard is an absolute joy to behold for any nature lover . Like a mini eco-center unto itself, Festooned with towering cedarspruce and pine trees , it provides safe harbour for many of the area's chipmunk , Squirrlel and bird species. She calls them all her "Little Charges"

At the base of several trees, Mrs W has installed flow feeders and seed trays.
She keeps these well stocked with an ample supply of fresh water and a palatable array of seeds, nuts, berries and other fruit as well as whatever else is in season.
Who needs house pets, she reasons, when there is such an abundance of nature at your doorstep.


It had all started, for me, on a very hot and humid day Last summer. Mrs Williams had spotted me as I came struggling up the road with my paper cart in tow, and by the time I got to her front walkway, she was waiting for me, with a delightfully frosty pitcher of lemonade and two glasses.
I don't usually accept drinks from strangers, but I was so hot and thirsty, and when I looked at her crinkled smile and kindly blue eyes, I couldn't refuse.
The Lemonade was delicious, and we ended up chatting for quite a while.
As we sipped, I told her about moving here from North Vancouver , and she told me a little bit about her family. Her children, one daughter and two sons, and all five Grandkids live back east, in the Toronto area. They visit during summer vacations and special occassions, but she doesn't see them as often as she would like . Despite that, she says she would never leave the mild and moderate west coast and that she would miss her furry and feathery friends far too much.
We have had a great many chats since then, and it amazes me constantly, how blissfully out of touch she is with modern life. Her TV is hardly ever on, and the only news she reads is the local rag that I bring by for her each Wednesday and Saturday afternoon. That being said though, Mr.s W is a very wise and intelligent soul. I listen to CKNW talk shows on my walkman as I stroll around my route and we often have fun mulling over the topics of the day.
I looked up at the darkening grey skies again and shivered.
Coffee and a chat sounded very inviting, but It was already getting dark, and as I still had half of my deliveries to make, I declined with thanks and more than a little regret.
"Take care Mr's W." I said.
I waved then, and continued up the road with a smile on my face, a warm feeling in my heart, and renewed bounce in my stride.

Mrs Williams is truly one in a million.

© Copyright 2006 Noahcounthobo (UN: onnoahcount at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Noahcounthobo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/398398-Mrs-Williams