*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401202-I-Hurt-All-Over
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#401202 added January 21, 2006 at 9:43pm
Restrictions: None
I Hurt All Over
Tonight I went bowling for the first time in five years. Before moving from Michigan to Georgia in '99, I bowled at least twice a week for years.

I have been here for five years, and the only friends I have made are people at work. Those friendships are very good ones, though, that extend outside of work. The only places I go are to work, shopping, for long drives sometimes, and the occasional trip home to Michigan or to other places. As of this past November, I have had an empty nest after twenty-six years of child rearing. With just my husband and I, working schedules that don't always line up, the house is quiet and my time is my own. The scary part of all of that is, I like it like that. I enjoy my own company immensely.

But of late, I've been thinking that even though I'm never lonely, it might not be all that healthy to be this isolated. When the other operator in the hair salon mentioned earlier this year that she bowled, I casually mentioned to her to let me know when a league started up, and that I might consider joining.

Well, true to her word, she remembered. Today when I went into the shop to drop something off for my hairdresser, the other operator let me know that a league in which she was planning to bowl was starting tonight.

All day I wrestled with the idea of going or not going. I had no reason not to go, but I was so used to doing absolutely nothing on my Saturdays off. Around four-thirty, I made up my mind to go. I needed to be there by six.

I went down to the garage and got out my bowling bag. It was covered in dust and dog hair, as our Max makes the garage her home. I had to spray it down with some orange cleaner and wipe it down in order to make it look presentable. Since it had been zipped closed all that time, the contents, to my delight my shoes and the balls (It's a double bag.) had been hermetically preserved. After cleaning the outside of the bag, my equipment was in order, and I was good to go.

I fear, though, that I neglected to inform my left knee and hip of what I was planning to do. Both of them had the screaming meemies all evening. I wound up bowling decently for one who hadn't done it in forever, but I am paying the price. A hot bath and two Aleeves later, I'm feeling a bit better, but it's clear that my body has been doing something it hasn't done in a while.

And evidently needed to do.

Despite my pain, I feel good. I did something that got me moving, and it's something I enjoy. The people were pleasant, and it was good being back on the lanes. I'm going back next week. At six oclock on Saturday evenings, I can be found in the bowling alley.

© Copyright 2006 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401202-I-Hurt-All-Over