*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Writing Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/405029-Rainy-Days-When-Theyre-Mondays
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #940786
What's on my mind....
#405029 added February 6, 2006 at 6:35pm
Restrictions: None
Rainy Days When They're Mondays
Today was not a good day for me to be a teacher.

It wasn't anything the kids did, it was me. I did my best,I persevered; I doubt that any one of them knew that anything was wrong with me, but I knew. I should have called off.

On Thursday afternoon, I wasn't feeling well; I hadn't been for few days, so I broke down and went to see the school nurse. She informed me that on top of the other symptoms I related to her, my blood pressure was somewhat elevated. She advised me to contact my physician.

Roughly thirty minutes later, I was sitting in the emergency room. Seven hours and an MRI after that, I was assured that I wasn't having that heart attack or stroke I feared. I was sent home with a referral to a specialist.

Exhausted and still in discomfort, I stayed home on Friday to make my appointments and to rest up physicially and mentally. It was a quiet weekend. I rested. I wrote. I corresponded with family and friends.

But today was Monday.

Even at my best, I detest Mondays. They are my least favorite day of the week. They last forever, and the kids and I are of the same mind. None of us wants to hear what the other has to say. We could all be slumped at corner tables or back booths, swigging coffee, smoking cigarettes, and wearing tee shirts and hats that tell the rest of the world to "Leave us the h---alone."

Today, leaving the house at 6:25, it was cold, very cold for the type of weather we've been having of late here in Georgia. Later in the morning, it even snowed for a brief time, which set some of the kids off. I wasn't in the mood. I'm originally from Michigan. Snow is not a novelty to me, although I could appreciate that it was for some of my southern-born students. The accompanying silliness was hard to take, but I dealt with it.

Then it started raining, and it didn't stop. It's been raining and to-the-bone-cold all day. I'm still stiff and sore from whatever this affliction is that I have. The rain and cold, I'm sure hasn't helped that any. In short, I've been in a funk all day, and trying to hide the fact that I was a whole lot harder than giving in to it.


© Copyright 2006 thea marie (UN: dmariemason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
thea marie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/405029-Rainy-Days-When-Theyre-Mondays