*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/408328-SNow-Snow-and-more-Snow
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #1031057
My thoughts on everything from albacore tuna to zebras
#408328 added February 21, 2006 at 7:19pm
Restrictions: None
SNow, Snow and more Snow
Notes from the N.P.D. & S.

Snow, Snow & more Snow

I believe it was the winter of ’93 or it might have been ’94. Anyway it was winter and there was snow. By this time I had accumulated three Bachman sets, The Liberty Bell, The Royal Blue and the Coal Creek. The last I picked up at a hobby shop for $40.00 because nobody wanted it. Christmas was coming and we were going to have a train. I took the entire track, used rubber bands to hold the sections together and made a loop through the living room that left no room to walk and made it exciting and dangerous to sit on the couch.

Something was missing.

I have a job that allows me to spend a lot of time outdoors. I’ve been rained on, snowed on, sleeted on and … well let’s just say I’ve been everything on’d. I’ve been bit by insects, chased by dogs, yelled at by people, chased by people and yelled at by dogs. Man, I love it! But then winter comes. I have to spend a lot of time in an office. There is a sign above my desk. It says, Caution! If it’s winter he does not play well with others! Cabin Fever is what I get. So bad that there has been talk of taking up a collection to send me on vacation until the snow melts. Right now it’s only me talking but I keep hoping they’ll take the hint. But I digress…

It was the winter of ’93 and we were in snow up to our wazoos or was it our whatzits? Hmmmm. The Christmas tree was down and the train was put away. I sat in the chair in the living room and stared at the walls, then the floor, then the ceiling, and then the walls again. After several days of this a thought came to me instantaneously. I’ll put the N.P.D. & S. on the wall! We can leave it up all year! My wife said, “That’s nice dear. Has the snow melted yet?” The idea took hold. When Linda (my wife) realized I was serious she laid down a few ground rules. It couldn’t go across the windows. It had to be built to match the existing woodwork (oak) and I had to finish some of the other projects I had started before I could start this one. In return, I procured right-of-way through the living room and tunneling rights through a hall closet. From time to time discussion has occurred over right-of-way for adjacent rooms but as of yet no offer has been tendered that has been satisfactory to the current house management. I shall keep trying.

Next Installment: The Bridge over Sofa Gulch


© Copyright 2006 Rasputin (UN: joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rasputin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/408328-SNow-Snow-and-more-Snow