*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414085-A-killer-expression
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#414085 added March 20, 2006 at 11:04am
Restrictions: None
A killer expression
Okay it’s official. I’m old. Yeah, I know, I look younger but the ugly fact is out. No more denying it. Unfortunately, it’s my slang getting in the way.

I remember, not too long ago, a buddy of mine shot me an email, telling me about his ‘killer’ something or other (the object of the killer description irrelevant.) I hadn’t heard the expression in a while and it’s use made me laugh. Later, I asked my teenager, “Laney, what would you think if someone called something ‘killer’ like as in a ‘killer song’?”

Without hesitation she said. “Old.” Nothing else. Just the word ‘old’. Not even worthy of a complete sentence. Whew, Thank goodness I haven’t used the expression, ‘killer’ anything in a long while.

However, today, Autumn calls. We make a few jokes, cuz she’s my daughter and you can’t be related to me without making sarcastic remarks about something during the course of even one single conversation. During our exchange I said the phrase. ‘Get the heck out of dodge.’

She stops me, “Mom. Why do you always say that? Get out of dodge…?” like I’m the only one. “What does that MEAN?”

Yeah, pour salt on the wound Autumn. (My email buddy used the dodge phrase just weeks ago)

So, being the ‘old’ lady I am, I had to explain the figurative meaning of the DODGE phrase…Sheesh. Has anyone seen my walking cane?

© Copyright 2006 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/414085-A-killer-expression